Thread: I personalize Alpine... what the Heck/?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I personalize Alpine... what the Heck/?

On the Alpine 9815 you can go on the the net and play with the head units settings and then download them on to your headunit, the first box is fine I under stand what to do but the second and thrid boxs mean nothing to me ( see attached )

http://uploader.co.uk/images/ipersonalize.jpg

Any one now how to set the last two box settings? I've got the following:-

Alpine 9815 head unit

Alpine front comp speakers

Kenwood 10in sub

Cheers Matt

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey
    Good choice of head unit - I have the exact same model. I think I personalize is great - here's my setup

If you click on the three headers at the top of your picture, then the adjustment window comes up, then you can click on 'operation guide' which can give you some help. Here's what I think anyway:

My setup is Alpine 9815 headunit, stock rear speakers run off headunits internal amp, focal front components running off a sony 2 channel amp and a pair of mtx subs running off a seccond (class d) mtx amp. So im not using the internal amp for the front speakers. Im using the front and sub rca outputs (preouts), and not the rear rca's.

The top left is time correction, so sound should hit your ears at the same time from all speakers - all about making the drivers seat the center of the sound stage. You seem to have got that.

Hz measures the number of occilations per seccond of a wave, this basically is a measure of whether a note is high or low pitched. Lower number of Hz is low frequency - bass.

The bottom left is a parametric equaliser - it basically lets you se the relative volume of different frequecies. So if you know your subs respond well to a particular freqency, you can boost the volume at that level. Or you might want to suppress that resonant frequency, to give the sound more balance. (Im sure u hav at some point had a tune where one frequency just sets off the speakers and it gets a lot louder when that note is hit.) What you need to know is that the row that says 'Hz' is the frequecy (note: bass is 40-120Hz ish). You can move the nodes on the graph to choose the exact freqencies that you want to adjust. Then slide the node up and down to decide how loud you want that frequcy to be, in relation to therest of the freqencies. Dont take the dB number literally, its just an indication of relative volume - not actual SPL. Then click on the node to change the 'width' which determines how much effect the change has on nearby frequecies. In my setup I have chosen to emphasise the bass, for a phat sound - but also nudged up the treble so the sound is still sharp. I would advise that you think about the kind of tunes ur most likely to play, and have a go at changing these settings - this bit is about personal taste as you can tune the sound range to your taste. A bit of trial and error is ok.

Then the window top right, the crossover control is handy too. This bit is more about setting the headunit up for the rest of your hardware. No need for taste here - its more about matching the output volume and sound range with each of your downstream components - amps and speakers. See if you can dig out the manuals, or look up the tech specs online to see what the freqency resonse of the amps and more importantly, speakers is. You can basically choose what sound to send through each of the 3 sets of pre-outs (and down the normal speaker wires, except for the sub channel). What you want to do is send only th correct freqencies to each speaker set, and at the right volume. I have my sub channel setup to take all bass notes, up to about 100Hz, then you can see there is a slope on the graph-the shows how the realative volume dercreases as frequency increases. This provides a smooth transition of sound between the speakers, so that there's not a sharp cutoff where a note will go from the main speakers to just the sub, otherwise bass sweeps sound weird! Then the line for the front and rear speakers shows that I have cut the really deep bass from these speakers, as small speakers will distort a lot less at high volumes if you dont feed them bass notes. I also let the front output be louder than the rear, again to help bring the sound stage to the front of the car, and because the amplified aftermarket front compoments can handle a lot more power than the stock rears. Also reduces strain on the internal amp which is running the stock rears. To edit these settings I think you click and drag the nodes to change the volume and 'cutoff' point. Then click the node to change the steepness off the rolloff slope.

I-personalize is proper handy, as u can set it all up online using the nice GUI, and load to the head unit after - u can even make different setups depending on the kinds of music u play. (eg diffrent bass empahsis for hiphop vs dance etc). So once u've finised setting up online, you download a file called blahblah.mp3 and then chuck it on cdr and load it up in the car. You can save more than one set of settings on a cdr as the unit lets you pick which one to load.

Hope that's been handy.
    Please feel free to ask if anything wasnt clear of u want more info!

Cheers
    B.A.D.
    (edit - img link died, so have re-hosted)
    B.A.D.