Thread: VXR220 motor

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

VXR220 motor

How much does anyone know about the mechnical diferances between the std z20let and the motor in the vxr220.

Vauxhall mention an uprated turbo but thats it. Yet by all account 220ps and 300nm are do-able with the std z20let.

So, my question is this - are they pulling the wool over our eyes and just using a different map and if so how do I get hold of this map

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    The VX220 Turbo and VXR220 Turbo run a different map from Astra/Zafira with the same engine.

If you run a VX map in an Astra it will be crap, basically vauxhall altered the Torque curve in the vX to stop it losing it's back end everytime you hit the gas.

The VXR220 has a bigger K04 Turbo and a different map. It is 220BHP and 215lb/ft, this is due to the durability tests that all Vauxhall/Opels engines have to go through. They have to withstand full throttle with 80% load constantly for 150 hours, thats 6 days.

yes Vauxhall could have got more, but Opel will not back the Vauxhall warranty if the power is taken any higher.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Says on Auto Express that theres only gonna be 65 made of these beasts. I get the feeling that carnt be right, seen as though VXR is a new era, not a limited edition. ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe only 65 VXR220's but possibly lots of VRX Lightnings
    Now THAT would be coooooooooool

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    There will be 65 VXR220's, 50 Monaro VXR's.

These two models are being used to launch the VXR brand. The later, Astra/Vectra/Zafira/Meriva VXR's will be full production models.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Smith
    The VX220 Turbo and VXR220 Turbo run a different map from Astra/Zafira with the same engine.

If you run a VX map in an Astra it will be crap, basically vauxhall altered the Torque curve in the vX to stop it losing it's back end everytime you hit the gas.
    Got a torque/power curve for the VXR220? I'd be surpired at changing the map for traction (although they have to for the extra power) - sure they didn't just alter the traction control parameters etc?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    VX220 does'nt have traction control.

You can't put the VXT map in an Astra/Zafira, it won't let you enter it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    VX220 does'nt have traction control.

You can't put the VXT map in an Astra/Zafira, it won't let you enter it.
    Hmmm....Seems time for an explanation Matt:
    I live in South Africa in an area locally know as the Highveld (Johanessburg, Pretoria are the main cities in the region) which is about 1600m (6000ft) above sea level. Most fuel here is 93 octane (they sell 97 at the coast and you can get 102 race fuel) because most cars are normally aspirated and therefore with 17% thinner air (altitiude) only require 93 octane (although they are all also 17% down on power). Our ambient temp here is at least 10° hotter too

The std map for the z20let works reliably here, but most guys have trouble with aftermarket maps all made for sea level european conditions.

Given that the safety factors used for the std map and the VXR map are most likely the same, I want to change the engine to that spec, so ensuring reliability but getting a sensible, reliable power increase. i.e. I want change the turbo compressor, the intercooler (to deal with the higher ambient temp) and the actual mapping data to suit not the whole software

Its probably way conservative, but at least it should work consistantly even on hot days

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I see, I would wait a while, because I beleive Vauxhall may be offering factory re-maps for the cars in the not too distant future, if they do don't expect anything more than the VXR220's 220bhp becuase of warranty issues.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I see, I would wait a while, because I beleive Vauxhall may be offering factory re-maps for the cars in the not too distant future, if they do don't expect anything more than the VXR220's 220bhp becuase of warranty issues.

Remaps of which cars mate? - VX220 or all Z20LET???
    Me run tings.... not tings run me!