Thread: Might have to get rid . . .

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Might have to get rid . . .

. . I might have to rid myself of my now 12 (or is it 13?) year old mk2 Astra. It's served well, but it's getting to the stage where repairing it is costing more than the car's worth. Not to mention the fact that the driver's side arch is just beginning to show some rust, which is meaning that the cancer of the motoring world has arrived in my Astra.

Still, it's been a pretty good performer for a 1.6 8v, on my private duel carriage way it's managed 119mph and yet still manages to do about 50mpg at 80mph on the motorway (I tested it once on a long-haul journey).

However, I'm not sure what to replace it with - any ideas? Bearing in mind I'm 18 so I can't exactly go and buy a 2.5 Veccy or anything like that. I've been looking at (please don't hit me :roll: ) a Civic 1.6 VTi coupe recently. I can get a good deal on that model (both car and insurance via my father who has 10+ yrs no claims), it's got 159bhp in standard form and being a 1.6 should still be reasonably economical if drove carefully.
    Are there any Vauxhalls I can be thinking about that offer similar performance in a sub-2 litre package before I look to the Japs for a solution?

Thanks,
    Rob

If something's not worth doing, it's worth forgetting about

http://uploader.co.uk/images/as_sig_astramk2gl.jpg
    Astra mk2 1.6 GL.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Might have to get rid . . .

Quote Originally Posted by astramk2gl
    .both car and insurance via my father who has 10+ yrs no claims
    insure the car leagally or not at all imo. That way you will build up your own no claims bonus.

A civic is a good choice, quite high insurance groups tho iirc.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if ur looking at building your own no claim so you can buy a veccy gsi/sri in the future why not buy a Astra SXi 1.6 16v wont be any higher than group 6 insurance actually think it's group 5 not sure will be cheap to run and to insure depending on what kinda price range your talking about you can pick on of these up on a s/t plate for around £4/5k (not sure only rough price) depending on milage and condition dont go for ex company cars as they've been thrashed and more than likely trashed!

Good luck and hope this is of some help mate!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Might have to get rid . . .

a 1.2 sxi corsa (new shape)

this will allow you to build up your own no-claims bonus and you will find it a little nippy for a small car
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a 1.7dti mk4 astra is only group 4, i bought mine a 2000 ls for £3500

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My limit is 3k. 1.6 SXi or 1.8 SRi (or is it SXi as well?) Astra's are appealing, but I don't think they've been out that long so I don't know how cheap they are.
    The appeal of a Civic is they have the bombproof Jap engineering, reasonable performance and plenty of them about so cheap s/h prices.
    BTW, do I not build my NCB then if I'm only a named driver, rather than the main driver?
    Rob

If something's not worth doing, it's worth forgetting about

http://uploader.co.uk/images/as_sig_astramk2gl.jpg
    Astra mk2 1.6 GL.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no, you only build no claims if it is your own policy....

you could still get a civic, just on a smaller engine (1.3 or maybe 1.6 lsi rather than 1.6 v-tec) as they are so light they are still fairly rapid cars.

you could also insure it third party fire and theft to keep the cost of insurance down as they are such a cheap car to buy... up to you if it's worth it or not
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you are the main driver of the car but have it insured in your dads name for cost reasons and you have an accident you are in big trouble if the insurance company proves that you are the main driver. The civic may be bomb proof but when they go wrong they go wrong in style. I couple of work mates had them and have sworn never again, steering problems, gearbox, dash rattles, then the price of parts!!!!
    you should be able to pick up a decent mk4 for about 3k as they have been out since 1998

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my astra 1.6 sport is insurance group 10, my old 1.8 was only a seven so do you research first. its saves money, different insurers use different ratings.
    98S Astra Sport 1.6 16v
    3 door
    Current mods:
    SRi T Kit, Professional Window/Privacy tints, Ice, Jetex Exhaust, Koni adjustable Suspension, Infinity all round

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    my astra 1.6 sport is insurance group 10, my old 1.8 was only a seven so do you research first. its saves money, different insurers use different ratings.
    Is your 1.6 a MK3 or MK4? if it is a MK4, you should query that group as the MK4 1.6 is only listed as a GRP 5 or 6 where as the MK4 1.8 is a grp 7-8 depending on model/trim