Thread: Should I get a turbo timer?

Status
    Cameron Ginger Diaz
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Should I get a turbo timer?

I'm a bit worried - during my weekend away in the beautiful Welsh Countryside, my mates and I were chatting about my car. Now, I know I drive to Manchester on a regular basis and one of my mates who happens to work for Vauxhall asked whether I keep the car ticking over for 5 minutes after the journey - I said no, he sounded quite alarmed!!

Do you think I should invest in a turbo timer? Tha last thing I want would be the turbo knackering in a few years time!!

Help!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Should I get a turbo timer?

u dont really need one!

unless you rag the arse of your car and then just turn of the ignition!

if you rag it then drive sensibly for a couple of minutes its fine ;o))

hi again!!

da kniffa

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vauxhall recommend to let the engine idle for 1 minute after a motorway or hard drive to cool the turbo back down. This maintains the turbo better. If you can sit in the car for a minute or two, you don't need a timer and also they're not essential if the last part of your journey is slower (say the last 5 minutes or so).

I have a TT fitted because I come straight into work off a 70 mph dual carriageway, so it's easier to ditch the car and let it cool itself down than arrive earlier and wait in the car park

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very true mr steve lane!!!
    ps going milltek next week

well excited

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KNIFFA
    very true mr steve lane!!!
    ps going milltek next week

well excited
    Nice one matey

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought about fitting one but to be honest for most people I dont think they are required, just take the last couple of miles before you arrive home a bit easier and it will cool itself. Another way to look at it is look how many Cav/Calibra Turbos are running around 10+ years old most near the 100k mark with no special treatment re: cooling the turbo down or turbo timers and are still on their origional turbo's.

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do what I do and use the stopwatch on the trip computer. I leave it for about 1 min 30 secs then turn off the engine

Status
    Prince Eikichi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i guess if u want to keep ur car for ages (long time) & can spare £50~70 then go for it

except if u like sittin' in ur car for 5 min every time u finish drivin'
    Don't blame me if I say stoopid things or don't understand... I'm half French, half Pinoy lol

That's no fun being engaged to a Princess... she’s ALWAYS RIGHT & you're always wrong lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was thinking of getting one... just because its annoying if you pull off a main road into a petrol station or something, as your stuck in your car for 3-5 mins to let it cool. Also im told buy a friend @ Nemesis that you can get them with boost and charge temp dislpays which is everything i want in one little box... you can set alarms for boost max and charge temp max so that when you givving it some wellie it will bleep at you if they go over your safe peramiters.

All singing all dancing HKS ones are about £150-200 but well worth it when you think that an Autometer gauge is about 75 quid. :P
    Corsa C LEH 4x4?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Vauxhall recommend to let the engine idle for 1 minute after a motorway or hard drive to cool the turbo back down. This maintains the turbo better. If you can sit in the car for a minute or two, you don't need a timer and also they're not essential if the last part of your journey is slower (say the last 5 minutes or so).

I have a TT fitted because I come straight into work off a 70 mph dual carriageway, so it's easier to ditch the car and let it cool itself down than arrive earlier and wait in the car park
    That what i would have said - I'm in a similar boot to Steve plus - i hate waiting around - excatly why i bought a turbo!!

I've got on now - courtesy of LN (S9 TOL RIP)

It's the Blitz Dual DC with built in boost gauge, stopwatch, 5 lap timer etc
    http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/2003/electronics.html

allows for shutdown after a pre-set time or automaticly determines. Will be fitting soon.
    Me run tings.... not tings run me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast