Thread: Scooby via Z20LET ??????

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Scooby via Z20LET ??????

Sorry guys, i am confused here, I have had a play with many scoobies of the last yuear and a half. If we are moving already from 50-60mph upwards they just get in the way and hold you up.

Not all models but on average 1/4 mile in 13.6ish and 0-60 in 4.4

The Z20LET does late 14 into early 15 1/4 mile. 0-60 around 6.

1.6 sec quicker to 60, 15 - 1.6 = 13.4, which means from 60 upwards the scoobies is slower and thats what i tend to experience.

Am i being dum here or what happens with everyone else??
    Astra VXR - 1st RIP - Black, 19"s, Climate, Cruise n Full Milltek
    The Black one
    http://www.mrmike.toucansurf.com/TheBlackOne/
    Blue RIP
    http://www.mrmike.toucansurf.com/TheAff/

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Off the mark the Scooby wipes the floor with the Astra. There is just no way a front wheel drive car can maintain traction. I have been up against a (alleged) 300 bhp Impreza on a rolling start and stayed with him. Didn't gain anything on the Impreza or lose anything in a straight line.

On standard one (about 230 bhp) you will beat it through the gears from about 50 mph, as the 4WD transmission losses come into play, as well the extra weight I understand that the extra losses can account for 10-15% losses over a single axle being driven, so they have to make more power to compensate for this

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry Boys wake up and smell the tyres, I don't know how you can come to this conclusion, The Subaru is a much faster and quicker car than your 2.2. coupe's and will always leave you for dead, Craig my eldest son had a 2.2. Turbo astra ans we have had many tussle's but the Subaru always left him for dead, He is now wanting to buy my Scoob as I don't use it that much, but cheers for the Monday morning laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers
    Colin

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Scooby via Z20LET ??????

Hiya turbo coupe,
    i'll give you a sensible answer
    The uk turbo/wrx newage suffer the same fate, a very restrictive exhaust system, 0-60 is all about torque and grip, this is where the impreza has the best of both worlds, but it is strangled as ive stated by the exhaust system (2 cats on a turbo and 3 on a wrx newage).
    Decatting these though will give upto 40bhp :shock: which is nice
    Steve has a point about some "pub talk" bhp cars, i can honestly say though that my car does have 300bhp and its as standard as they come
    Drivetrain losses though... my car has 255bhp@wheels, this equates to 15% losses, i know of another similar car to mine that has a 10% drivetrain loss (and more power :shock: ) so you cannot consider this a constant.
    1/4 mile times... well its not as easy as it looks, you cannot take your 0-60 time and subtract from it, there are more laws of physics envolved here, and saying that a theoretical 13.4 1/4 is possible..... well... these are the proven Subaru 1/4 mile figures for my car ops:
    13 secs dead @ 108mph. This makes for somewhere in the high 11's to low 12 0-100mph, not bad for a car thats quoted 280ps and 290lbs of torque
    Well hope this helps.

Tony

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: re: Scooby via Z20LET ??????

Quote Originally Posted by TB11
    Hiya turbo coupe,
    i'll give you a sensible answer
    The uk turbo/wrx newage suffer the same fate, a very restrictive exhaust system, 0-60 is all about torque and grip, this is where the impreza has the best of both worlds, but it is strangled as ive stated by the exhaust system (2 cats on a turbo and 3 on a wrx newage).
    Decatting these though will give upto 40bhp :shock: which is nice
    Steve has a point about some "pub talk" bhp cars, i can honestly say though that my car does have 300bhp and its as standard as they come
    Drivetrain losses though... my car has 255bhp@wheels, this equates to 15% losses, i know of another similar car to mine that has a 10% drivetrain loss (and more power :shock: ) so you cannot consider this a constant.
    1/4 mile times... well its not as easy as it looks, you cannot take your 0-60 time and subtract from it, there are more laws of physics envolved here, and saying that a theoretical 13.4 1/4 is possible..... well... these are the proven Subaru 1/4 mile figures for my car ops:
    13 secs dead @ 108mph. This makes for somewhere in the high 11's to low 12 0-100mph, not bad for a car thats quoted 280ps and 290lbs of torque
    Well hope this helps.

Tony
    That is some impressive figures. Gonna stay away from these things and just pick on BMW/Merc drivers me thinks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Subaru's do have high drive train losses.

Their archaic four wheel drive system loses them 40% of their power before it gets to the wheels. So that means a std wrx has only around 150bhp at the wheels. Even the old Cav Turbo 4x4 system was better, as it only loses around 30%.

Most scoobys do not pull very well until they are at 3000rpm, as the boxer engine is a little wheezy. It only puts out 115bhp in NA form compared to the Astra's 136bhp.

Big scoobys with 300bhp+ wll leave most things for dead though, as the power and four wheel grip are unstoppable in the end.
    The gear ratios are also optimised to be quick off the line, as top speed isn't so important in rallying. Perhaps thats why some cars can gain on them in the mid range?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Scooby via Z20LET ??????

Ive owned scoobs since 2000, the drivetrain losses are not proven, and if you want proof ive already given it, 255bhp@wheels, 300bhp@fly, just look at Bob Rawles car, 350bhp@fly, 316bhp@wheels, tell me these are 40% losses
    There is no consistancy in drivetrain losses, run 10 cars that are exactly the same and not one will put out exactly the same power, but some lower powered ones "may" put more power on the road than higher powered ones due to inconsistancy, thus you cannot state that one car has a 40% drivetrain loss over one with 15% as its not feasable and not proven either. There will always be inconsistancies though so....

Tony

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh i should also state my car doesnt have a wheezy engine she picks up from just over 1k rpm right up to the 8k red line

Tony

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, mine does too I have 265bhp and she's a beauty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haven't driven a scooby or raced one so can't comment . 15%-10% loss sounds a bit too low, even FWD you expect to loose 20% so with permanent 4WD you expect at least 30%. Has these drivetrain losses been confirmed else where ?. With regards to the exhaust i expect every turbo car made nowdays to have at least 2 CAT's , but a 40bhp gain is very good . With the Z20LET you can gain about 20bhp from the exhaust system .

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast