Thread: Cam Belt

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cam Belt

I have just serviced my 2000/W 1.6 SXi and they have told me that the Cam Belt is due for replacement. They say it should be replaced every 4 years or 40,000 miles whichever comes sooner. They have quoted me around £215 to have the work done, the service and quote was done by my local Vauxhall Dealership (Rowcliffes of Taunton). The car has only done just over 27,000 miles so does it need replacing now or can it wait another a few miles?

Someone I know has a T Plate 1.8 CD and their Cam Belt went recently costing them about £1200 to fix it all. I don't want to wait and then this happen but seeing as I just paid £160 for a service I'm a bit strapped for cash so if it can wait then that would be better.

I don't really know what I'm talking about so any advice on whether it should be done now or if I can get it done elsewhere cheaper would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The cambelt is 40k or 4 years, you could try going to an independent garage & getting a quote from them, I paid about £190 for belt & 2 rollers & labour. That was at a Vauxhall garage