Thread: Rack?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rack?

I had my car into the dealers today for a belt change and rollers. They said I have a leak on my rack :shock: , I said how much to fix it, they said it's a 4 and a half hour job and it woud cost £619 :shock: . He then went to see the guy who spotted the leak and said it's not too bad but keep an eye on it :roll: . I also needed brake discs and pads for the front and my changed and the brake fluid changed. So will I get away without replacing my rack? Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Rack?

It's probably one of the rack boots which has either split or is weeping, probably the later if he says it's not serious. I remember doing one on a Mk2 Astra and it was a doddle but I can't say what the Mk4 would be like as I've never done one. The boot looks like a rubber concertina usually, which stops oil escaping out of the rack, there's one on either end of the rack, they are joined to the trackrod end. Most unlikely you'll require a new rack so long as all the oil don't escape. If its just a weep, keep an eye on it and ignore it if it doesn't get any worse.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.