Thread: Key Fob

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Key Fob

Just had the car in for its second service, and the guy recommended changin the key fob batterys, i thought, i aint paying vauxhall prices for a battery, i'll get one myself, lo and behold, less than 24 hours later, my key fob stops working, this is the spare i'm using now, as the same happened to the other one last week.
    Now, this has got me a touch worried, as surely if the battery is dying, it would be a gradual thing. Not at all, the key was working perfectly, then died a sudden death. No lights or anything. Is it the batterys, or has something else gone wrong, i just thought it was strange, both keys dying such a sudden death, within a week of each other. The worst thing is, every time i get in the car now by unlocking with the key int he door, the alarm goes off till i put the ignition on.
    Please help, do i just go to vauxhall and beg for forgivness, for not changin the batterys?
    PS This must be sorted before i go to work tonight.
    Vectra SRi 1.9 cdti 150

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Key Fob

Hi, It sounds like you need to shove a bit of card in your key to put pressure on the battery I have done this a couple of times an Astra remote fobs and am sure other people on here have (common fault)
    there is a more detailed thread on this somewhere but I can't find it now.
    Hope this helps as a quickfix.
    Nick Whitney

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one of mine died for the first time a few months back, im on the spare now to because im to lazy to change it now, but it died out slowly, i noticed it wasn't as responsive and didnt seem to work from as far away, dont know if this helps at all.

how expensive are vx batterys anyway?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nick was correct, it was the black battery holder that was broken, shoving a piece of card into the fob fixed the actual fob, (ie it now lights up when u press th ebuttons again) however, it no longer works the car, so i still can't unlock or lock the car with the remote. It does not need re-synchronising, as i have tried, and hartwell vauxhall in sheffield have also tried this, they seem to think it needs re-programming. which i have to pay for.
    Vectra SRi 1.9 cdti 150

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just get them changed, a whopping £1.26+VAT!!! each
    Regards
    Rich C

Former owner of Astra SXi.. New owner of a Satin Silver Civic Type R.. "Bye Bye GTi"!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the first time i changed my batteries i assumed the battery clip came off the pcb. it doesn't! i have since re-soldered my battery clips back to the circuit board... Not a job for the feint hearted - it took a 1mm soldering bit! I have since had no probs - I'm de-locked btw!

reprogramming is done as per the manual basically key in, fire her up and press either button within 30 sec - sorted!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats re-synchronising, re-programming is a tech 2 jobbie.
    Vectra SRi 1.9 cdti 150

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh, ok, cheers