Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What am I doing wrong?

My cleaning regime doesn't produce decent results despite me spending a hard 4 hours working at it. It leaves some hard water marks in some areas that just don't come out even when really wiping it. Splattered bugs don't seem to come off that easily and hence remain there after the complete process. Wax chalkey powder residue is all over the car when I've finished. Let me explain my cleaning regime and feel free to tear it apart to explain where I'm going wrong and what I should be doing instead:

1. Use hose to water down car and remove as much dirt and grime as possible.
    2. Use Autoglym Intensive tar remover to get rid of splattered bugs and bird poo.
    3. Use the hoze lock rotating brush with shampoo (Halfords Advanced car wash shampoo) attachment once over car (gets rid of the bulk of the dirt).
    4. Wash down car with water very quickly.
    5. Use bucket and sponge with Halfords shampoo again. I do this by doing bits of the car at a time and then wash it down. This is to prevent dried up shampoo water stains from forming. The hotter the weather, the smaller the panel I will do.
    6. Wash down again completely (not really necessary as I do it as I go in step 5).
    7. Use auto glym wiper blade thing to get rid of bulk of water from the flat panel areas.
    8. Use a chamois and a bucket of hot water to dry the rest of the car up and to remove dried up water marks (some water marks dont come out with this, no matter how much I wipe).
    9. I then use Zymol wax. I find this leaves a lot of powder residue that needs wiping off with a soft dry cloth after the buffing process. Probably because the buffing pad is saturated with wax powder. However, I'm pretty sure other wax products I've used didn't do this as much.
    10. Use window cleaner for the windows and lights.
    11. Use Auto glyms wheel cleaner stuff for the allows. With a wire brush and a rough cloth.

Any help would be very grately appreciated. Thanks

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are so many variables here -

At this time of year - trying to clean a car in sunlight from about 9 am until 7 pm just will be too hot (I was up at 4.30 doing ours this morning!!), and will cause the car to dry up fast

You could be in a hard water area (but we are and dont get this happening)

Your water could be over-chlorinated - as the white circles left tends to be from the chlorine in tap water - but I wouldnt go out and wash the car in Evian!!.

Sometimes - a dried water mark can become trapped under a layer of wax and become stubborn to shift, are thee water marks in the same place??

Switch shampoo - try a wax based shampoo - demon shine or zip wax for a change to see if this pulls it through any better.

Are you using the shampoo sticks in the brush? - these tend to leave a lot of white residue marks

You are right with the Zymol - I end up dusting the car once done and only really use the buffing/shining cloth for 2 or 3 applications.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchpoo
    There are so many variables here -

At this time of year - trying to clean a car in sunlight from about 9 am until 7 pm just will be too hot (I was up at 4.30 doing ours this morning!!), and will cause the car to dry up fast

You could be in a hard water area (but we are and dont get this happening)

Your water could be over-chlorinated - as the white circles left tends to be from the chlorine in tap water - but I wouldnt go out and wash the car in Evian!!.

Sometimes - a dried water mark can become trapped under a layer of wax and become stubborn to shift, are thee water marks in the same place??

Switch shampoo - try a wax based shampoo - demon shine or zip wax for a change to see if this pulls it through any better.

Are you using the shampoo sticks in the brush? - these tend to leave a lot of white residue marks

You are right with the Zymol - I end up dusting the car once done and only really use the buffing/shining cloth for 2 or 3 applications.
    I only ever feel like cleaning the car when it is nice weather. I prefer it when it is warm (i.e. warm enough so my hands don't freeze in the cold water).

I don't know if I am in a hard water area. Not sure about the chlorinated thing either.

The water mark could possibly be under a layer of wax. Not sure what the best solution for this is if that is the case....get the sand paper out??
    The water marks are in various places but most noticeably it is on the roof and on the bonnet.

The rotating brush doesn't take the shampoo sticks, instead it has a little compartment that takes liquid shampoo. It then mixes it with the water flow. I'll try to change to zip wax. Would I still need to wax the car as well?

I've used the buffing cloth for about 5 applications now but I have washed it out quite thoroughly a couple of times. I'm considering using Turtle wax as I don't remember having any problems with that. Zymol wax is quite hard to buff once it has been applied. Turtle wax wasn't so hard.

I'm also tempted by buying that halfords electrical polisher (not the small hand one, the big rotating disk that needs two hands to use). Anyone with pros and cons for this? Thanks again

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Two handled polisher is very good, I use one as I have a black car and too much wax residue looks streaky on black cars. Using the electric polisher is easy, you just have to make sure the car is clean before polishing (simple I know!) otherwise you will pick up the dirt and create scratches.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Two handled polisher is very good, I use one as I have a black car and too much wax residue looks streaky on black cars. Using the electric polisher is easy, you just have to make sure the car is clean before polishing (simple I know!) otherwise you will pick up the dirt and create scratches.
    I presume you can only use it on the flat panel areas i.e. the roof, bonnet and possibly the doors. Can you use it for weird shaped areas like the bumpers, the pillars etc?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, you can, as the backing pad on it is foam sponge. Basically, you work on all the areas you can with the power polisher, then whip the bonnet off it and use it to do the reveals and tricky bits.

You use a hell of a lot less wax, but you do more polishing, so the car looks better. Beware that you will probably get numb fingers if you do more than one waxing though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i use the same shampoo and i get on really well with it. use a decent chamois and make sure its clean as clean. when i do the chamoising i regularly rince the cloth and keep the hose running in the bucket to make sure the wate stays clean as well. with water marks just make it a bit wetter and rub with the chamois. should disapear fairly easily. even windows i can do with this technique and get them looking pretty shiney! maybe everyone can do a panel if you're at pv lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just gone to Halfords and kitted myself out with a whole load of new products. £50 worth to be precise. They've got this offer of 2 for 1 on TurtleWax products so I took advantage of that. I also bought the 240V 2 handed eletric polisher thinking this will cut some time of my cleaning regime.

The stuff I bought were:
    1. Turtlewax Rapid dry wash and wax shampoo
    2. Turtlewax Colour magic with chip stick
    3. Turtlewax Extreme speed wax
    4. Turtlewax Original hard shell shine wax

I also got some Halford brands bug and tar wipes. Interestingly enough, this was the only product left that was in stock. Must be the summer weather and the extra demand for it all.

See how this looks when I use it all tomorrow morning :-)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wish you luck!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IF the water marks are trapped below existing wax layers you are going to have to t-cut the car down to remove them. Check this by seeing if these water marks are in the same location every time.

Otherwise - that bundle should do the job.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast