Thread: Motorshow today

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Motorshow today

Me and Rob went to the motor show today, I have been to everyone more or less since I was a kid (only live 10 mins form NEC) and this was the worst on yet

Very expensive £8.50 to park £16.00 to get in!! I managed to get in for fiver though @ Robs facre though!!!

We managed to sit in all the cars we both would like as a next car other than the TVR's. These are our thoughts:

Golf mk5: Very dissapointed indeed, I personally love the exterior but the interior was awfull and cheap, to the point of I prefer our mk4 Golf.

Astra mk5: Got to say although I am biased I guess I loved it. Very soild, much more so than the mk4 (which is still good) but right up there with VW and audi IMHO. I thought the astra although not light years ahead of the mk4 was a great evolution and I am really looking forward to the 3 door VXR now!

New Tigra: Stunning from the outside and a bit special....got in and my words were "just a corsa" now I know its a corsa with a different shell, BUT I think vx have missed a trick with this car, needs to be a lot more special inside, even if it is just a makeover on the corsa dash.

Honda S2000: This car me and Rob have both liked for ages.....both of us felt like giants it though Nice interior as well. It was just to cramped and the seats just didnt go back far enough.

Crossfire: Rob was a big lover of this car untill today...me a hater I knew what it would be like, and it was! American company tries euorpean..and lands on its arse! Very tacky interior, very cheap and certainly not worth the money!

Nissan 350Z: Awsome car but again interior was a little bit of a let down, very badly designed. Seemed to me it was designed as a drivers car but then they realised it had no gadgets or storage so they wacked it were it fell. Shame really.

VW Tourag: Cool car! Loved it, it also has the most complex cupholder in the world, still every gadget had a purpose and was solid. Liked that a lot.

Honda NSX Type R: Now we are talking!! Both of us fit in it well, loads of leg room, very driver focused and gerally very nice....**drooool**

Skoda Fabia VRS: Just for oss really, it was built better than the golf

Loads of others as well, but they were the main ones. We looked around the show in 3 hours, no trade stands really so genrally a bit crap, at least it only cost me £5
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Motorshow today

Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    Crossfire: Rob was a big lover of this car until today...me a hater I knew what it would be like, and it was! American company tries euorpean..and lands on its ****! Very tacky interior, very cheap and certainly not worth the money!
    :shock: Interesting, i was talking to someone today who's just bought one
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mat did you see the Ford Thunder-bored spectacular? It was the most hilarious thing I've seen in ages - absolute cod.

Also the Caterham experience was well worth a tenner - still the best fun car going.

I also got to drive an Astra H - very nice, very solid feel and the handling was pin- sharp (although I couldn't really rag it), anyway got three laps of the test circiut thanks to the nice VXL lady.

The rest was pretty dissapointing as there were very few trade/gadget/accessoriy stands and where were Alfs and BMW???

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    to be honest we couldnt be bothered with the live areas...the extra money was a put off. I think the test drive idea is the best as it will maybe convince people to buy the cars. Its hard to see what a car is like from just sitting in it. However you do spend a lot of time sitting in it so the interior counts for me.

Ford stand was ok...but toooooo much advertising for me for the film and the brand!! The ford connect X-Press was well though!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I must agree with you yet again Mat, the show on the whole was a very overpriced for what was there, but I enjoyed it nonethless, especially with the VIP treatment I got.

Must agree with all your assesments as well except for the new Astra, the broken bits(only two bits, but there should have been none) in it did not make a good impression on me, but I do agree that it is a raised the standard over the G. The car's exterior is on a whole is more solid and after having a good look at it the shape has grown on me quite a bit. Shame about the performance figures as they seem to be a bit down on the G but hopefully the VXR will be a real beastie, and I look forward to that coming out.

The 350Z I did like, but for 30K the interior does let it down a bit, but nonetheless I asked them to book me for a test drive, were hopefully I will get more time to have a proper play with the car.

For me there was only one car of the show and that was the SLR. Seeing it being built at the factory is one thing, but I had not sat in it till the show and all I can say is Wow!!! If I had the cash the car would be mine. My second favorite of the show was undoubtably the Porsche GT, very nice . Third favorite car of the show was the VW Concept C and the Hyundai (I never thought I would ever say this :shock: ) concept car.

All in all Expensive but there are worse ways to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Oh a final funny thing I noticed that had me smiling and it is something which I have never noticed at a motor show before(and I am not trying to be sexist or offend anyone: Did anyone notice the ladies sitting waiting for there husbands and boyfriends, kind of the role reversal for when blokes wait for their ladies when you all clothes shop

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think mat liked the drive home the best!!

I think Mats summary is a fair one really, some awesome cars, but quite a few let downs especially for the sort of money

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    the drive home was as I thought ...... impressive for a drev!!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mat - notice that VW has lost it's trademark door clunk and the interior plastics are inferior to a Focus?
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    yep paul and the astra has gained it, which was really satisfiying. Even the tigra had a nice quailty feel to it. Well impressed.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Funny how 2 of the best 2 seater sports cars of recent times (S2000 and 350Z) are both discounted ! - strange what a test drive will do the change your mind though.

VW Toureg is a poor mans Cayenne, another spinoff of crossing manufacturers :roll:

Honda NSX Type-R ... now that is nice, but super car money for a Honda, will always be it's downfall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast