Thread: Home Cinema HELP! Need info on digital optical thingummybobs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Home Cinema HELP! Need info on digital optical thingummybobs

I just bought a new AV Receiver today, with Dolby 5.1 Digital on it. I have everything hooked up as I did for my old Pro Logic 2 setup, but I can't get Digital to work.

I think I need an optical digital link from the DVD player back to the AV receiver. This is where I am lost, both the DVD and Receiver have DTS Digital Surround on them and Optical Digital connections, which for the cable run I think will be best.

Now here is the question. Is the connector they use for DTS the same as a 'Toslink' optical connector? I am looking on the web for a 4 metre digital 'lead' to hook up the system, but I don't know what I need to do it?

The DVD player is a Sanyo DVD-SL25 and the receiver is a Technics SA-DX950 if that helps.

Anyone?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, go to any audio visual store like richer sounds and ask for an optical digital interconnect, they will know what you want
    You don't have to get a really expensive one even if they try to push one on you, it is a digital signal and isn't subject to interferance so a £10 one will work just as well as a £70 one (it's been done to death on home cinema forums the world over)
    HTH

Col
    Ally wings, less " The Fast and the Furious" more "The Gay and the Gaudy"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_M
    Hi, go to any audio visual store like richer sounds and ask for an optical digital interconnect, they will know what you want
    You don't have to get a really expensive one even if they try to push one on you, it is a digital signal and isn't subject to interferance so a £10 one will work just as well as a £70 one (it's been done to death on home cinema forums the world over)
    HTH

Col
    Yeah, I thought that too, but Richer Sounds wanted £15 for one, I just found the same sort of thing on eBay for £6, but it said it was 'Toslink' ???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yup that's the one you need, toslink is the name of the connector at the end, the one you don't want is a toslink mini plug (looks like a headphone 3.5mm plug).

Col
    Ally wings, less " The Fast and the Furious" more "The Gay and the Gaudy"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah its the name of the socket/plug. i thought it was toshlink tho? :?
    whatever its called you need the same on each end.

you may find that the amp and the dvd have digital coax sockets also, if this is the case then it is just an alternative to the optical cable. there are pros and cons to both systems but idve thought the optical system will be cheaper for the same results.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've only got a TOSLINK (Cheers! now I know what the ***** I'm looking at!) output on the DVD (the one we've resigned to the spare bedroom/games room has both, but I want to play DVD-R and the Sanyo does).

Co-ax digital is supposed to be easier to route under carpet and the amp has that facility, but I've just ordered a 36 ft (yes, we have a lot of space between the Hi-Fi and the TV) Toslink cable from a German eBay seller, for about £20 less than I can find in the UK

Thanks for the advice peeps

(now all I need is some rear speakers, so I can use the existing rears as front/centres and we will have a 17 speaker system to listen to )

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    richer sounds is cheap as cheap!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arbee
    richer sounds is cheap as cheap!
    I know, I just bought a RRP £350 AV amp for £140 because someone toerag nicked the remote when it was a display model

Guess who has a Superfly remote controller that does everything in one

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you took the best route by going co ax over such a distance, i suspect that if you'd have opted for the optical approach, you'd suffer with slight timebase correction errors as each and every bend in the optical path adds a tiny amount as the signal bounces off the wall of the fibre.

I have all my kit stacked on a rack about 18ft from the screen, that way I used smaller cables to connect the DVD,DAC,Laser disc ,CD,VCR to my amp and just sent a custom made S-video cable down to the screen.

How have you managed to get 17 speakers into a 5.1 system?
    Have you not suffered with phase issues?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawkEP3
    How have you managed to get 17 speakers into a 5.1 system?
    Have you not suffered with phase issues?
    Centre channel is a 3 speaker model
    Front left and right are two speaker ones
    rear left and right are also two ways
    Subwoofer is a nice meaty 2x12" unit

So that makes a total of 13 speakers in the system. Two more two ways in the back part of the room and it will be 17 speakers.

In effect there are only 6 speaker units in the room at the moment, extending to 8 when I go for digital with two extra speakers for rear surround.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast