Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Regal Power Pipe

Another funny question from a turbo newbie ops:

I see a lot of turbo motors here with this mod? whats does it actually do for the motor and is it worth the purchase?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Regal Power Pipe

It's supposed to stop the pipe collapsing on itself at high boost, i think hundreds of people have got these, also it's a nice cosmetic touch as well + it has a dump valve fixing
    Audi B5 RS4 Quattro 451bhp. 479lb/ft

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well worth it, 1st mod I would do if I had another one. The standard pipe is rubbish !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Two points with that pipe that I can't understand.

First off, how does a pipe COLLAPSE under BOOST (PRESSURE)?

The crossover from the intercooler is under pressure when the turbo is spinning, so a flexible pipe can't be drawn in by the fact it is under pressure.

I've ran my car on rollers and the only time it has sucked the pipe in was on the OEM dump valve in the turbo and they lifted off. Surely this isn't a problem?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well - to test this out - decided to rev my engine a little with the bonnet up - you can see the pipe in the engine bay if your half in the car and press the throttle. The pipe definatley compresses at some point - i'm sure i saw it happen once the turbo was online. As far a i'm concerned it has to be better to have the power pipe so that the volume of air passing through will be constant.
    Me run tings.... not tings run me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve

The crossover from the intercooler is under pressure when the turbo is spinning, so a flexible pipe can't be drawn in by the fact it is under pressure.
    I totally agree with you on that one steve. Ive asked the same question a few times and no-one has yet given me a definitive answer. It certainly wouldnt collapse under boost thats just plain dumb. But it might compress marginally when you first put your boot down, before the turbo has time to spool up. But how often is that going to happen?

If anyone can give us a geniunie, theoretical explanation for the pipe to compress Im all ears. Please, Im sure there is one, why else would so many people buy a "power pipe"???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest there is a performance increase when you fit this pipe but its only throttle response though . If you just squeeze the standard pipe you know how flexiable it is and proberly flex's a bit when your really booting it. When you start to tune your car you want to maintain a constant boost level and one of the things to do to maintain a good constant boost level is to have solid boost pipes .

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve

I've ran my car on rollers and the only time it has sucked the pipe in was on the OEM dump valve in the turbo and they lifted off. Surely this isn't a problem?
    Exactly Steve

I think it`s just a ploy to make us buy them, I bought mine for styling purpose as with the Viper
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mixed opinions here, so whats the deal?

Guess if it is just for looks then maybe the unpainted silver one will be the better buy, as it is cheaper and i am not looking to fit a dv anyway

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The pipe collapses when you lift off the throttle, you can see it if you rev the engine, fine under boost, then when you lift off, collapses - cant be good.

The amount of play in the pipe when cold is pants, when warmed with the under bonnet heat, it is going to get worse :roll:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast