Thread: Caliper winding tool? really needed???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Caliper winding tool? really needed???

Gonna do the rear brakes on my Mk4. Replacing the discs with Tarox and replacing the lines with Goodridge SS. Have read that a caliper winding tool is required if fitting new pads. Presume this is to force the caliper piston back inside the caliper body? if so would removing the bleed screw and pushing it back work just as well?

If not can anyone tell me where to get a winding tool, tried Halfords but they ain't got one in and said it would be £20. Anywhere on the web I could order direct. Also anyone know a foolproof way of telling which rear caliper type is fitted ie Lucas or Bosch as I need to buy another set of pads as my missus seems to have moved mine and I can't find the damn things now.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just use a big pair of grips, and DON'T remove the bleed screw

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Caliper winding tool? really needed???

Gonna need to remove the bleed screw anyway as I'm painting the calipers and fitting new lines so it will have to be bled either way. Where do grips go, use them to push the piston back inside the caliper? or is the winding tool used for the handbrake?
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Push the piston back in
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Use a hammer handle or similar to push the piston back in gradually. Piston winding tools are for those with more money than brains

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a little pressure on the piston pushing it back in while useing grips to turn it works a treat

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Some calipers cannot be just pushed back in, thats why they use the winding tool... because it needs winding back in and not pushed

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ah ha I get it now. The piston sometimes needs to rotate in order to break the grip of the piston seal, so I grip the piston edge with the grips and turn the piston whilst pushing the piston back into the caliper body. I was a bit confused as to whether the piston winding tool was used to reset the handbrake adjuster or for the piston itself. Piston should go back into the body much easier with the bleed screw out as its not trying to overcome the one-way valve in the hydraulic system. Thanks for the help guys, now I wonder if the calipers are lucas or Bosch now as I need to get another set of pads. Probably written on the caliper somewhere when I remove it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Some brakes have the piston in like a thread, to work as part of the handbrake mechanism (Citroen for one). On the Astra you can lever on the caliper body to apply pressure to the piston and easy the clearance you need to take the pads out