Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

D.I.Y. heatshield and air feeds

Ok... am I missin anythin' here?

I've been lookin' at so many posts about differences between doin the air-box mod with a performance panel filter, or takin the induction kit option.

I've heard pewople say that induction kits (e.g. K & N 57i) suffer from heat and suckin in too much hot air would lose power...but how about a bit of D.I.Y. :?

I've got a nice n shiney sheet of 'chequer-plate' aluminium hangin around (about 1 - 1.5 mm thick)... so, if I fitted a 57i induction kit and build a kinda heat shield with mi aluminium, would this work? I was thinkin about cuttin out 2 or 3 holes for cold air feeds... 1 or 2 feeds pointin onto the filter, and the others just goin through the heat shield to keep the general surrounding air cooler. Would this work?

I've looked at the link below and thought about the steel mesh filter cone instead of the 57i, but then saw another post about the potential of grit etc gettin into the engine if the filtration is less.

http://www.m1gst.com/phpBB2/viewtopi...ains+induction

oh yeh... I drive an astra g 2.0 sri

wat do ya'll fink of this idea...am i wastin my time?

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Although the steel mesh gave better gains in the test (see link), I would have thought it would be at the expense of filtration, as this is always the comprimise.

The general concensus is that if you want a nice noise stick a induction kit on. It's one of those 'marmite' things

Personally I've chosen the 'poor mans viper route' by way of...

- Vectra inlet pipe
    - Derestricted Airbox
    - K&N Panel Filter.

This a should equal more air and less restriction: (ergo, a bit more power?)

I've no idea if this gives any realistic gains as I've no personal RR date to compare, but it has certainly made the car much more responsive and less 'asthmatic'.

Your idea for the heat shield may work or it may not - IMO the theory sounds good. The only real acids test is to RR all the options to decide on the best way - but remember less filtration = possible increased engine wear.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    :? ....wander how I could fix the heat-shield to to secure it...hmmmm.

Off outside t do some investigatin me finks...I'll report back later

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This self-same idea was discussed on MigWeb a good while ago - IIRC the best solution was to drill/screw to the inner wing: but that was on a MK3 - there may be another wy on a MK4.