Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help? What cloth to use for washing and drying car????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help? What cloth to use for washing and drying car????

Okay, im a little peed off, I went to my local A1 motor stores just after i got my 888. I asked for all the stuff i would need, i.e cleaning cloths, and so on. I asked to make sure that none of them left scratches and the guy pointed me out a special sponge. Ive been using this Scratch free sponge, damm it and the dam thing has left scratches all over the car.

Little tiny ones which you can see when the sun shines on the car.

Anyway i was wondering what type of cloths you guys and gals use to clean your car and to dry the car with. I use a long piece of cotton to dry. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they use something which doesnt leave any scratches. ??? Ive heard of leather shammy, but i used that and it wasnt very good. But i think it was poor quality.

Can anyone help,

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    shammy to dry and an autoglym cloth to polish
    Balck Astra K Elite 1.4 Turbo

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Soft Brush to wash
    Chamois to dry
    Old t-shirt to polish on
    Old Towel to polish off

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys
    Soft brush? Wont the bristtles leave light marks on the paint?

Im using an old soft t-shirt to polish with, that works ok yes.

Is there a special washing cloth i can get? Maybe from Autoglym or Megiuars.?

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The brush I use is very very soft at the tip of the bristles and I can plug it into the hose so water is always washing crap away from the brush, thus keeping it as clans as possible.

IMO by using a sponge you'd be more likely to rub dislodged drit across the paintwork as it'd be less frequently washed outby dipping in the bucket, than the above method. Also what does the bucket contain - an ever dirtying captive amount of water, so the sponge will always have residual dirt in it which is a potential scrtach pad.

Hope that makes sense, I understand what I'm on about :roll:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes i get it thanks, your right about the sponge. I have tore it to shreads. :x

I might invest in a power washer and a brush then, what do you think? Is that the type of brush you have?

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a power washer to get the best part of the crud off. this includes an 'under chassis lance' to get in the hard to reach corners wheels archs etc). I use this for rinsing off also

But the brush is some ancient thing (possibly a 'betterware') - it's been in the family for ages and I love it cos it's got natural bristles and the head is rubber coated so i'ts less likely to scratch the paint should you 'miss'. It just fits on the end of a normal garden hose pipe, and it's that old it pre-dates those snap lock connectors things.

It's probably unique in the world now, and totally irreplaceable :shock:

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The world needs to see this brush......

here it is..

See I told you it was old

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Those bristles do look soft. Looks good, i bet i carnt buy that in the shops.

Thanks for your help matey

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nooooooo, no offence Ffoeg but anything with bristles no matter how soft will introduce light swirls.

Jonathan, I don't know if you are any where near as obsessive about your car's finish as I am but get yourself either a lambswool or microfibre wash mitt (in fact get a couple. One for the top half of the car, one for the lower). Any tiny pieces of grit are kept well out of the way of the paintwork as they are trapped in the fibres.

But you should keep the possibility of grit and dirt in your wash bucket to a minimum by using the 'two bucket method' - one purely for wash water, the other to rinse after each application to the car. Yes it sounds incredibly anal and indeed is but if you find that cobwebby, swirly effect unacceptable it's the only way to avoid it! Even with this method, there'll be the odd swirl but these are removed with a good wax.

Get yourself over to Meguiars forum on their website to read tips and hints from a load of other sad obsessives like myself. You probably have a life so may find the lengths some of us go to quite disturbing but there's some great tips there!!

Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast