Thread: Who thinks the standard Michelin HX tyres are terrible

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Who thinks the standard Michelin HX tyres are terrible

I'm talking about the standard 205/50/16 Michelins on my Astra coupe. I never really liked them, and since fitted the new suspension there being exposed even more. In short I don't like them.

So if you had these on your car, presuming you changed them, what to, and what difference did it make.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They are absolutely dire on anything but a dry road. I tried some 17" with Eagle F1s but the tyre noise was pretty bad.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In the wet they are poor, but very good in the dry, They also wear very well I got 40K out of a pair (did swap front to backs round though so am I cheating?).

Ive changed to Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 to be honest I think they are quieter they are a much softer compound compared to the Michelin and grip much better in the wet, not cheap though but I suppose its like everything, you get what you pay for.
    Regards
    Rich C

Former owner of Astra SXi.. New owner of a Satin Silver Civic Type R.. "Bye Bye GTi"!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Michelin don't work for crap in this country - it's too wet and too cold. They work very well in europe (France, Spain, Italy etc) where it's a lot drier and warmer.

The same applies to Continental - another French/German company like Michelin. Continental EcoContact are plain dangerous in this country. I nearly wrote off the 106 I had on several occasions during wet braking on Contis - swapped them for Uniroyals and had no issues afterwards.

The Pirelli P6000 that came on my Corsa are pretty good, they stick pretty well, and are probably a lot cheaper than the Eagle F1. They seem to be standard fit on most sporty cars. Volvo use them, so they must be all right.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichC
    Ive changed to Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 to be honest I think they are quieter they are a much softer compound compared to the Michelin and grip much better in the wet, not cheap though but I suppose its like everything, you get what you pay for.
    RichC how did the F1's compare to the Michelins in the dry?

Thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just put on a full set of Avon ZZ3, cheaper than the F1s. I's surprisead about how quiet they are... and grip in the wet too.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The standard ones are worst when the roads have road salt on, i think i got a bit of a pug throttle off oversteer moment once with them.

They are unbelivably bad in those conditions, but they do seem pretty good in the dry. 24k on my current standard wheels not quite in need of replacement yet, i did think they needed replacing just over a year ago when i first used them on road salt they have very poor grip in those conditions in my experience.
    '51 Reg Astra 1.8 SXI 5DR for sale.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher
    17" with Eagle F1s but the tyre noise was pretty bad.
    Agreed. My coupe came with the old type F1s on and I had to change one due to a rim being damaged. The GSD3 was out by then and they were even louder. I've now got Michelin Pilot Sports on and they are quieter (just) and are fine in the wet. Loadsa money, though at over £500 a set!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had Michelin Energy and Pilot before now. Last ages, but squeal a lot and grip is pretty poor.

After a blat on Sunday back from the meet with the Avons I was very pleased!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Last weekend it was 22 degrees c. First roundabout in the heat these tyres fell apart. I've had alot of tyres I'm sure these are the worst tyres i've ever had bar some Firestone 690's.

I'm going to change these early for some GSD3's and sell the Michelins part worn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast