Thread: Aftermarket air filters - Engine Damage

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aftermarket air filters - Engine Damage

Well this has made me want to put my standard box and filter back on as a lad left this message on my forum :?

I worked for race teams for years. One Toyota Atlantic teem I worked on the driver thought the car was lossing power from the start of a race to the end. So we did leak down checks when we got new engines in. 3% leak down- New. At the end of a race we checked it again and we got 29% leak down. So we sent the head to get the valves done and checked the leak down when the head returned. 4%- Leak down. At the end of the next race 31%- leak down. So we put three dabs of grease down streem of the air filter. "K&N" The next engine came in with 3%-leak down new. And at the end of the race 32%- leak down and the dabs of greas were full of grit. So we changed the filter to a oiled fome filter. 3%- leak down new and at the end of the next race? 18%-leak down. Better still not good. So we made a new air box and used a Mustang GT stock air filter. 3%-leak down new at the end of the next race? 1%- leak down yes I said "1%". The rings bed in and the engine seals up. We went from changing a engine at 300 miles with 29 to 34% leak down to. Changing the engine at 800 miles with 7% leak down.

So the bottom line is. You mite gain a littel more power (1 to 2hp) but it will not last long and befor you know it you will have a LOT less.
    I work on 944s only and when I tare down a 944 engine that has had a K&N filter the cyclenders have a LOT of scores from dirt that got through the filter.
    If you dont beleve me do the grease test your self. Take out the filter and put a dab of grease in the air box. Then put your K&N filter in and dive the car for a few weeks and pull the filter out and check the dab of grease.

Is it true?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is possible for dirt to be sucked into the engine, thru the air filter... i guess, becuase after market filters let more air in, they dont filter the air as much so some dirt gets past....
    Iain Ritchie
    body kit and new wheels on there way!
    http://uploader.co.uk/images/marv_-_...itchie_sig.jpg

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    As i read this, is he talking about a K&N induction kit? Then swapping to a standard airbox/filter.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OMG!!! :shock:

That means all that crap k&n say about being better filtration is crap!??

Is it something to do with the amount of suction thru the filter, if you have a large thruput of air, it could be sucking grit thru, maybe the filter was too small for the application?? :?
    mmmmmmmm, nice try!