Thread: ICE Setup.. help / advice needed...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ICE Setup.. help / advice needed...

over the next 2 months I will be sorting the ICE out and Ive got a few home made ideas but I'd just like to run it past the guru's before i decide to do them..

its either: (ive currently got all standard apart from a DEHMP70? Pioneer Headunit)

1 x Components JBL-GTO-606C (90RMS)
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/...oducts_id+1251

1 x Infinity 6x9 (100W RMS)
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/...oducts_id+1199

1 x Infinity Coxial Speakers 17cm
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/...oducts_id+1197

1 x Infinity Amp & Sub Package
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/...oducts_id+2170

OR...

1 x Components JBL-GTO-606C (90RMS)
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/...oducts_id+1251

2 x Infinity 6x9 (100W RMS)
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/...oducts_id+1199 + 4 Channel Amp to power them both (all in a custom made parshel shelf)

1 x Infinity Amp & Sub Package
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/...oducts_id+2170

Would 4 6x9's fit in a astra shelf? if anybody else has any suggestions for what i should try please share them one day I set my sights on getting one thing then the next its something else.

I'm looking for some really nice loud bass (12") but then some good powered speakers so the vocals are drowned out.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont buy 6 x 9s, get better quality comps instead and amp them, otherwise all the audio is behind you, esp with 4 6x9s.

www.caraudiodirect.co.uk would be your best bet, post on their forum and should get some very good expert advice.

Also when you say custom parcel shelf do you mean sealed?
    only say that cos i've see 6x9s killed by high powered subs when the 6x9s were running freeair. The infinity sub probably wouldnt be able to damage them much but they will be fighting each other.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ye I was going to get my mate whos a chippy to cut into my shelf to fit 4 of them in running free air thanks for the advice ill check that audio forum now!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Don't go near the 6x9's.
    You won't go far wrong with decent components up front & a sub in a box all amped up, & a set of co-ax's of cheaper components in the rear running off your head unit.

HTH
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree.

6x9s are used by SPL guys to get some midrange on bassy systems in pro audio kit.

The basis of an SQ system is two speakers in the front (doors or kick panels) as mid bass, two tweeters/upper mids, set up to give best soundstaging and a single sub in the boot to provide low bass (which is non-directional and therefore can be fed from the boot)

Rear speakers don't come into the equation when building a car system, unless you go multimedia and want surround sound. The rear speakers just confuse the stereo imaging, as the soundstage should appear to be floating over the bonnet somewhere to give the best imaging (best way to check this is to close your eyes and listen, so don't so this while driving!!)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hehe, Thanks for the top info.. Ive decided to wait patiently and basically get the whole of it done with Alpine Type-R speakers/sub/coxials...

@ the front footwell I have Vauxhall Standard Components so am I right from what ive read @ the FAQ Page that I will need some 17cm (6 1/2") Components (with seperate tweeter which is located near mirror adjuster)

@ back seats where your arms are rested some 13cm COXIAL speakers (dont come with inbuilt tweeter? because I cant remember seeing a seperate tweeter like in the front of the car)

and then

in the boot Alpine Type-R 12" sub + Nice clean amp to power it...

all of the above is that what I should be aiming to buy? or have i mistaken some type of speaker for another?

Thanks alot

Alfy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    That will do fine for a decent system, but don't forget to allow some money in your budget for sond deadening the front doors, rear quarter panels & boot.

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Never thought of that before.. How much am I looking at for sound deadening? and is that a job I can do myself easily or if I want it done properly how much am I looking to be charged for someone else to do it?

Thanks again,
    Alfy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You can do it yourself if you're feeling up for it, just requires a stanley knife, hairdryer/hotair gun & a bit of effort getting your hands/arms into the various panels to position the sound deadening.

I would reccomend that You to buy some "Brown Bread" sound deadening, £15/roll (80cmx60cm/approx 5¼ Sq Ft), it's probably the best value for money that you will get.
    You could get away by using less & "spotting" the panels, however this won't be just as effective.
    To do the job properly you'll need about 2 rolls for each door/quarter panel & 3-5 rolls for the boot. It's not cheap, but it is worth doing right.
    An extra, added benefit is your doors will have that quality "heavy" sound when you close them.

HTH