Thread: Climate control concerns

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Climate control concerns

I have a few climate control questions regarding my new convertible.

1) According to the manual, you can press the auto button after switching the ignition off and the air-con/heating should come on again for a short time. Once I put the ignition off, nothing happens if I press the auto button again. Does this feature work for others?

2) Should I have got a solar reflect windscreen? On the website, climate control is a 400 pound option and states this windscreen. Through the dealer its a 300 pound option and doesn't mention it in the catalogue. I have dots all the way around the windscreen, but no shaded area around the mirror and the GPS works through it so it can't be.

3) In the current weather, around 10 degrees....when the climate control is on, from outside the car (at idle), I hear the cooling fans spin up for about 5 seconds then down, then 20 seconds pause, then they spin up again for 5 seconds or so then down. Seems a bit weird? But the cooling fan works for longer periods when climate is off and the engine reaches a certain temperature showing there is nothing wrong with the fans.

I also noticed, that the two fans, one behind the radiator and one in front, spin up and down together...i.e they do not seem to operate independently. This is on a turbo.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Climate control concerns

Quote Originally Posted by jonstatt

1) According to the manual, you can press the auto button after switching the ignition off and the air-con/heating should come on again for a short time. Once I put the ignition off, nothing happens if I press the auto button again. Does this feature work for others?

Yep. This works for me. You do have to leave the key in the ignition for it to work though.

2) Should I have got a solar reflect windscreen? On the website, climate control is a 400 pound option and states this windscreen. Through the dealer its a 300 pound option and doesn't mention it in the catalogue. I have dots all the way around the windscreen, but no shaded area around the mirror and the GPS works through it so it can't be.

Yes! Mine was supplied without one, when I cracked it RAC picked up the fact that it wasn't a solar screen, replaced it with the proper one and then I got £100 back from vauxhall for supplying the wrong one when the car was built.

3) In the current weather, around 10 degrees....when the climate control is on, from outside the car (at idle), I hear the cooling fans spin up for about 5 seconds then down, then 20 seconds pause, then they spin up again for 5 seconds or so then down. Seems a bit weird? But the cooling fan works for longer periods when climate is off and the engine reaches a certain temperature showing there is nothing wrong with the fans.

Pass! I haven't noticed!

I also noticed, that the two fans, one behind the radiator and one in front, spin up and down together...i.e they do not seem to operate independently. This is on a turbo.

Sorry Never looked!

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Climate control concerns

Thanks for the reply. I have tried different combinations of ignition position, key in/out, and the only way I can get the climate control to re-start without the engine running is with the key in position 3 (which I don't think is a good position to leave the key in without the engine running).

You said you have to leave the key in the ignition, in which position?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can't remember to be quite honest!!

If I remember I'll have a go when I drive home tonight.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Max,

Did you remember?

Regards,
    Jonathan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Max,

Did you remember?

Regards,
    Jonathan
    Remembered to try it! Just forgot to post ops:

Ok if you turn the ignition off (But don't pull out the key) then pressing the AUTO button should bring the climate control back on for a while. HOWEVER it will only work on auto i.e you can't change the fan speed etc. (The display should light up when you press the auto button)

If the key is in the ignition and at position 3 then it will work completley (The fans will run forever, but the air con won't as the compressor won't be running)

Hope that helps!!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply and results!

I tried it on mine, it doesn't work! Its very strange because as climate works fine with the engine on, what possible fault could there be that would stop this feature working! Looks like I will need to get the dealer to look at it. On the windscreen type, Vauxhall insist that convertibles do not have a solar reflect windscreen, only coupes.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Climate control concerns

They do operate indepentantly. It's just the engine cooling fan turns because of the air coming through from the aircon fan. The engine fan will also make the aircon fan turn as well.