Thread: Standard Head Unit Removal

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Standard Head Unit Removal

Hi, I've just bought a 2001 Atra SXI. What I need help with is how to actually remove the standard stereo! Feel a bit silly for it, but I can't suss it! - the keys didn't work and it looks like it needs alumn keys??
    Also, what's the best/easiest way to get wiring into the boot for both my sub and multichanger? And also, is there anywhere I should/shouldn't be drilling in the boot floor (other than where the spare wheel is) so i can secure the multichanger?
    Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello, welcome.

the four 'holes' are actually small allen bolts, so you need to remove these first before sticking the keys in.

You can tuck wireing under the plastic inner door sill, both sides.
    Remember to keep the power line separate from the RCAs.

You could maybe put the multichanger in the tool recess in the left hand side.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took my std HU out last night. the cage has the connections for the rear of the unit captive, so, the minute you slide it out from its mounting the thing will be de-powered and in future you'll need the code!! Unless it ain't going back in of course...Found this lot out to my peril last night, 3 - 4 days with no sounds until my Alpine turns up ops:
    1.8 16v Astra Sport - Absolutely bog standard

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    D'oh! So close yet so far! So I need to take the little Allen screws out, and THEN use the Keys. Excellent, I'll give that a try, thanks.
    I'm not sure If the disc changer will fit in the tool thing, but I'll have a look and see, it'll be handy if it does cos I won't really lose any boot space that way.

It's ok, I've only just bought the car, so was given the radio code with it, but I'm swapping it over for the Sony XR-M510 (with 10 disc multichanger) that I had in my old car anyway.

Thanks guys.

Actually, thinking about it, does anyone know the standard speaker sizes for the 2001 SXI 5 door, and if there are any decent speakers that are a straight swap for the standards? Cos they'll be my next upgrade... once I've got some more cash anyway!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You may find with a decent stereo that the speakers will be fine.

Mate of mine just swapped the POS stereo in his '02 LS for an Alpine, and it sounds WAAAAAY better. I'm running a cheap Kenwood in my '00 Club and it sounds pretty good too. Again, much better than the crappy Philips tape deck thing that came with the motor.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know what you mean - It's killing me at the moment driving round so quietly with the Philips stereo.
    I've got some Pioneer 6x9's to go into a stealth shelf I've ordered from Halfords. I don't have an amp to run them off, so will probably have to sacrifice the rear door speakers to run them (By that, I mean I make Halfords do it, as they agreed to fit them for me ).
    So I'll then be running the standard front door speakers, 6x9's in a stealth-shelf and a 10" Vibe sub and amp all-in-one all off my Sony Head Unit. Hopefully that should sound ok until I win the lottery and can go modding crazy! :P