Thread: Bike lessons and test, anyone help?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bike lessons and test, anyone help?

After a long thought Ive decided I wanna get myself a bike, anyone else got a bike licence?

Im looking for some hints and tips generally, how long will it take to get my test passed etc, I'm going the direct access route, I'm 21 so will learn on a 125cc then once confident they put me on a 500cc.

Whats a ideal first bike?, been looking at 400's but didnt know if to go straight for a 600. Ive got a wod of money saved up so bike and insurance arent a major worry within reason.
    Regards
    Rich C

Former owner of Astra SXi.. New owner of a Satin Silver Civic Type R.. "Bye Bye GTi"!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Usually bike lessons aren't done like cars where you do say an hour at a time. They're usually intensive courses. I did mine nearly three years ago and it was from 8.30 till 4.30 each day. I'd riden a bit before so did a three day course with the test on the last day. If you haven't already done it, the first day will be a CBT on a 125. Then you'll progress onto a 500. Do the test and you can ride anything. To be honest your probably better off not going straight for a 600, so many people that do direct access crash because they aren't used to riding and they have too much power. I did the restricted license, because I was only 17, and brought an Aprilia RS250 (for sale if you want it!) Now I've got an R6, and am so glad that I had the smaller bike first, to get used to riding, cornering, the acceleration. It was also a much lighter bike, so easier to manuver when you aren't confident. If ya want anymore info, I'll be pleased to help!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive got plenty of riding experience, have raced motorcross bikes since I was 12, currently racing in 250cc class, I got a driving licence etc so know all rules of the road. Gonna hopefully book it all on Tuesday, then try book a week off work in the near future so I can get the courses complete and go for my test.
    Regards
    Rich C

Former owner of Astra SXi.. New owner of a Satin Silver Civic Type R.. "Bye Bye GTi"!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    U will need to do the theory test now aswell. I have my full licence & have had it for 3½ years. I agree with SJJ84, go for the DAS (Direst Access Scheme) coz u will have a licence to ride anything size wise, but u deffo dont want to go for anything over a 600 coz of the massive power increase

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did my DAS just over a year ago and bought a Suzuki SV650. Good 1st bike, not too powerful but still fun and its got a nice v twin sound. Ive since moved onto a Suzuki Bandit 600cc.

There isnt a great choice of 400cc bikes about and for the diffrence in insurance its not worth the hassle of trying to find one.

Just get a 5 or 600cc machine.

Good deals on Yamaha Fazers about at the mo ! bit pricy to ensure just after your test though

I agree with sjj84, dont get a 600 cc sports bike as it will probably scare you !

My friend bought a R6 after passing his test, wrote it off 3 weeks later and hasnt been on a bike since, something a little less manic to start with.
    im bored !

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i took my test 30 odd yrs ago....once round the block and a few questions..took about 15 mins lol: bet if i took it again i'd fail miserable
    started off on a BSA batam then onto a truimph bonny...laid off for a few years then got a RD350...then finally a ZZR600R way back in 86 till 89 and that was the last time i was on a bike...but i do fancy another :roll:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I want to get my CBT and get a wee 125 for messing about but im not sure im confident enought to ride a big boys bike. I have however just been offered a phazer for under a grand, only a year and a half old, but the thought of a bike that has the same engine as an R1 kinda puts me off R1's scare me as does my uncles firebird. So i thinks i shall get me a aprillia rs 12 (if i can find one)
    -.. . - . -.-. - .. ...- . / -- --- .-. ... . / .. ... / -.. . .- -.. ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    buy the Fazer and i`ll swap my bandit for it

thats a great buy if its in good nick. Whos selling it ?
    im bored !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a Honda CB500 at the mo, good all round bike for the novice/beginner, a bit on the heavy side tho (same weight as a Ducati 996) but it goes well enough & returns about 55mpg on a motorway/dual carriageway run & is also nice & nimble along the twisties & in town

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    While we are on the subject of bikes, is anyone going to the BMF show in May?