Thread: Cam chains on 2.2 Ecotec.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cam chains on 2.2 Ecotec.

Iíve hear from a trusted mechanic that some 2.2 Ecotecs have a problem with the timing chain.

Apparently the chain is not lubricating, and can explode. He says many of these engines have already gone. Vauxhall are very worried and currently donít know why itís happening.

Apparently the very latest 2.2 does not cause this problem. Iím told you can identity the latest 2.2 as the engine slopes backwards in the engine bay.

My car has the sloping engine, however Iím still going to phone Vauxhall just in case. Don't want to cause I panic, but better you phone Vauxhall now if under warranty then wait until warranty is over and the worst happens.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just phoned my Vauxhall garage and my car is clear. He had to check down to the reg number, as there is some 2.2 Coupes with recall notice against them.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i checked myself but could only come up with safety issues on nearly all the vauxhall range ( seat belt problems ) nothing on the timing chain though and they are reputed to be very good only issue what concerned me was oil type and change intervals chains dont need to be changed just an engine maitainance especially oil and filter changes, i would recommend oil type but would not go against vauxhall dealer recommendations