Thread: Am I just being a ****???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Am I just being a ****???

As I said in a previous thread I have finally collected my car, however I am not sure whether it is a 'perfect' as it should be.

The car has 1800miles and was registered 31 dec 2003 and an ex demo.

I have noticed that the drivers handle (underneath) is quite scratched, There is at least 8-10 light scratches over the two doors with on where I can see the primer below. in asddition to that there are a couple of chips on the corner of the doors, you know when you open the door and didn't see that wall when you parked :roll:

I contact vx and told them, however their response was that it is a second hand car and I shouldn't be expecting a 'showroom condition' car.

They hav siad for me to come in next week and they will look at touching it up. Am I being unreasonable questioning the condition of the car?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ex demos will always be alittle harder worn than a normal car with that mileage.

IMO you are being alittle harsh, but you're the customer and not me !

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They'lll probably just cover themselves with the 'ex-demo' label anyway.

Is it a Network-Q sale, that might give you some comeback.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TBH, they are right in what they are saying, in that it is a used car and no car is perfectr, even new ones. What you should have really done is inspected the vehicle thoroughly when you initially looked at buying the car and again when you collected the car and had anything you werent happy with pointed out and subsequently rectified then, contacting them after you have the car is a bit like shuttng the gate after the horse has bolted. Re: the handles most of them will have fine scratches caused when people open the door with keys in their hands or rings on etc. most have these marks to some degree. Atleast the dealer is willing to touch up the marks and any light scratches will probably T-cut out.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In-law worked for a Vaux dealer - and ever since I have vowed I wont have an ex-demo car!!!
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are the demo's usually thrashed then? :roll:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldnt read too much into Demos being thrashed. Some are but most arent. The majority of dealer ex-demos are driven by salesman at night the odd test drive here and there which might be hard but nowt drastic. Demos are only run for limited mileage's, ours generally come off at around 5k. If you look at the big scheme of things how hard can a car with 5kmiles have been driven, certainly not a lot of chance of it being driven hard for the full 5k, and whats 5k in the life of the car (fart in the wind really), plus its warranted mechanically for 3 years so theres nothing to worry about. If the car has origionally belonged to Vauxhall themselves, the majority of these cars are driven by people that work for Vauxhall (Vauxhall have a car scheme for employees hence why so many cars on dealers forcourts come from Vauxhall direct).

My GSi came from Vauxhall and had been a demo, now I am the customer form hell when it comes to my cars, they hve to be perfrect or Im not a happy bunny. I had no worries buying an ex-demo GSI (sight unseen) as it had only done 5600miles, and realistically its not really going to have been driven much harder than Im going to drive it anyway. Then look at the fact yours has done 1800miles - thats nothing.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    their usual line is that a car is in a condition that befits its age and mileage, but I'm real fussy so that don't wash with me either, normally just walk away, although that would be a bit late now.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ex demos tend to have a hard life, salesmen who don't care or test drives by test pilots. I'd still buy one though. If you're going to worry too much about mechanical condition don't buy one off me either - a private individual is just as capable of being disrespectful to a motor vehicle.

Ideally you would have had opportunity to inspect the car before sale and reject based on the body problems. The only brand I know that guarantees against things like this are Lexus. You can buy them unseen and know they're right. I'm not sure if Vauxhall will entertain similar promises.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Our neighbour was a salesman and he said they don't thrash the cars nowadays, as they get a severe shafting off the boss if the performance demo cars get stone chips or cracked headlights etc thanks to the salesmen tailgating etc.

They were also told in no uncertain terms that if they crashed or blew up a demo sports model they could expect to be driving the 998cc courtesy cars for the rest of their time with the dealership

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast