Thread: Anyone legally minded feel like doing a favour

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone legally minded feel like doing a favour

I have an 'ongoing' dispute - now I am shattered and a bit frustrated with everything.... I've kept a diary of events - basically we had some fascia/soffit work done, then 4 weeks later the flat roof lifted as it wasnt secured - our home insurance doesnt cover it.
    what would you suggest doing next?

Events

25th March 2004

Rain coming through the light fitting in bedroom in early hours of the morning

Ruined light shade (1 of matching pair) – Focus DIY £45

Tipped water onto bed, mattress and headboard – mattress soaked whilst I was in it –
    Silentnight Picasso mattress only 4 months old
    http://www.johnlewis.com/stores/prod...09&str=652
    £450
    No electricity in bedroom lighting from 3 am!

Water running down wall in bedroom – caught no severe damage £0

Water dripping through in new place in window surround in kitchen – caught – no severe damage £0

Mother and baby spent night sleeping in the lounge as a consequence. I have no further sleep.

24th March 2004

Builder arrives, removes shoring, removes rotten boards and re seals roof in preparation of work commencing in the morning

23rd March 2004

Liam arrives to look at damage to the car –

Car taken to get quote by Warwick Shubrook – who confirm that dentmaster wouldn’t be able to cover the depth of marks – 4.7 miles round trip, car running costs = £37p/mile. + my time £1.74

21st March 2004

High winds

Lead lifted off roof and landed on Astra £Quote

28th February 2004

Snow melt on flat roof, further water running down bedroom walls and onto new carpet (no prolonged damage), bedroom rearranged to provide space and our de-humidifier placed in room running 24/7

Kitchen – water running down walls on to table/ tablecloth, floor and in doorway – yellow stains remain on walls – repaint required £11.99

27th February 2004

Bulider returns and resecured roofing and removed remaining snow. Coving in Kitchen bowed and water around window reveal - fixed already and requires re -decoration

26th February 2004

Birth of our son – concerns over the state of the house for a newborn child expressed to Liam

25th February 2004

Builder arrives and shored up other part of roof following small amount of water damage to ceiling in bedroom

Re-artex ½ of bedroom ceilingn now needed est£50

Liam inspects the damage – discuss that we are willing to pay costs to have boards on roof done at the same time as pointless sealing in wet and old roof boards – suggested figure of £200 contribution to this cost.

24th February 2004

R.G Carter insurance assessor inspects and notifies us that we won’t be covered due to shoddy workmanship in failing to secure the old felt back down or to notify us of the condition at the time of installation

22nd February 2004

Initial roofing blown off in the wind – Spent morning refixing and covering – Home insurance called.

Duck Tape roll £5.99
    Tarpaulin £11.99
    Bag of nails £1.29

9th January 2004

Installation completed – work team point out to us the alterations to the original schedule – that a piece of lead is used as a diversion for rainwater rather than a plastic item as discussed with Wayne at sale and survey.
    Work team also suggest the removal of moss along flat roof at point the tiles meet to prolong life of flat roof – no other mention of condition.
    Also weather today worse than the day they were told not to commence!
    Paid for works in full by cheque.

8th January 2004

Work commences on installation

7th January 2004

Work due to commence – they arrive – and decide weather too inclement and don’t start work. Try and talk us out of the desired finish along rear fascia in preference to cladding over rotten timber.

22nd November 2003

Agree to the works taking place for £930, paid deposit.

Total cost to us to date £578.00

Awaited costs Car repair
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    1.6 SXI Astra mk4, 2.0 SRI Astra mk4 & Mokka 1.7 4x4
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Follow astra sxi 2003 On Twitter Add astra sxi 2003 on Facebook
    surely this is down to the guys that where doing the home repaires as they have to make everything safe and secure
    For all things Electronic, Electrical and Automotive
    Check out my web site www.daycall.co.uk
    x2 Astra mk4 1.6 16v & a Mokka 1.7

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes - its all their fault - but its getting them to sort it that is becoming a pain in the rear

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Since you have a acurate record of events, I would personally take this with me with any other recepts quotes ect to citizens advice, and talk to them, they will be very help full and can help or point you in the right direction. They have got me out of some troubles legaly

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    1.6 SXI Astra mk4, 2.0 SRI Astra mk4 & Mokka 1.7 4x4
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Follow astra sxi 2003 On Twitter Add astra sxi 2003 on Facebook
    Them and trading standards, some times citizens advice can get things wrong as ive found out once
    For all things Electronic, Electrical and Automotive
    Check out my web site www.daycall.co.uk
    x2 Astra mk4 1.6 16v & a Mokka 1.7

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If not then the office of fair trading, explain tot he company that if its not sorted out that you will report them to the office of fair trading, Find out exactly wich guideline they are breaking and what part to use as ammo.

Other wise, is there a radio programme that you can contact, here we have the ed dollan show on radio wm were you can call in and they will help out with contacts even contact tthe company them selves to get things done.
    Used this before and it helped

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that was my next step - i've used the radio station before too, my only concern is that complaining at a higher level often doesnt get the work done any quicker or better. (workmen spitting feathers etc etc)

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    but getting a bad rep isnt good for them, if it shown that they are willing to sort problems it gives there company a bit of a boost in a sense.

and you will always have the radio station backing after aswell if the problem is solved.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry top hear about that paul but i would go with your dairy and get some advice ie from citizens advice and see what they say if your worried about complaining and getting them back to do the job maybe theres a way you can make them pay anouther company for the repairs not sure if you can but i`d ask anyway

Mothers with teenagers know why animals eat their young

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you must get something done asap as your little one could end up with chest problems !! i know we had very samiler probs some years a go. take care hope you get it sorted
    You're crazy and you're scatty, a real class a part, its fair to say, in every way, you're a grade 'A' Nutty tart !