Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cruise Control

Hey,

Like most people I know someone that works at Vauxhall, lol. Although the chap I know is abit of a waffler and comes out with all sorts of gems from time to time.

His vital bit of info this week is fitting cruise control to a mk4 astra (apparently NOT engine specific!).

My mate has a Mk4 2.0dti 03 van. Now Ive been told that if you wanted to fit cruise control to this. You take it to vauxhall, hand over 400notes and 1hr later you'll have it.

Apparently the techie info behind this is as follows ; buy Cruise Control 'stalk' from Vauxhall Parts - £50ish.
    Plug Tech1 into said Astra Mk4. Press ONE button on Tech1, you now have cruise control!!!

Seemingly mk4 ECU's are already cruise control powered, it just depends whether or not its enabled !!

Obviously I dont have access to a Tech1, I just wondered if there were any other ways of getting this done. or infact if its true?

Cheers

DaveB

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There must be a motor on or near the throttle body. Surley???????

And I doubt they will slap those on willy nilly.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    1.6 SXI Astra mk4, 2.0 SRI Astra mk4 & Mokka 1.7 4x4
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Follow astra sxi 2003 On Twitter Add astra sxi 2003 on Facebook
    if you hand over £400 for this upgrade then trust me when i say they are pulling your pants down (you know the rest)

all you need is the new indicator switch (about £30 tops) with the cruise control buttons on it and top a different brake pedal switch (cant remember the price but no more than £20) which i think all the dervs have anyway.

its 10 mins on tech 2 and away you go halfan hour tops.

i would be p****d off if someone wanted £100 for that
    For all things Electronic, Electrical and Automotive
    Check out my web site www.daycall.co.uk
    x2 Astra mk4 1.6 16v & a Mokka 1.7

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MuppetMule
    There must be a motor on or near the throttle body. Surley???????

And I doubt they will slap those on willy nilly.
    Some Astra G's have fly by wire throttle control, which is a motor on the throttle body
    Courtenay Astra Coupe Turbo: 281 bhp & 273 lb ft torgue.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Cruise Control

yeh, the dervs are fly by wire throttle control, hence all the signals for the Cruise control should already be flying back and forth to the ECU.

So astra_sxi_2003. Vauxhall are ripping me off quoting that price then? Buy the parts seperately and try another dealer?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome Dave, if you do a quick search you'll find parts numbers and advice on doing it yourself !

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh right cool, so no throttle cable then?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you look at the accelerator pedal, there won't be a wire if you have DBW !

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    1.6 SXI Astra mk4, 2.0 SRI Astra mk4 & Mokka 1.7 4x4
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Follow astra sxi 2003 On Twitter Add astra sxi 2003 on Facebook
    Dave- if you have it done by the factory as an option then they charge you £500 approx. you could by the stuff and fit it then go back to that dealer.

its best if you buy the parts and fit them yourself as its really easy then get the dealer to switch it on with tech 2.
    i must say though that what i have said is purly aimed at an astra g with fly by wire. if your car is not run by this then the cost goes up in a big way
    For all things Electronic, Electrical and Automotive
    Check out my web site www.daycall.co.uk
    x2 Astra mk4 1.6 16v & a Mokka 1.7

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DRIVE BY WIRE

The idea is to remove the mechanical linkages between the controls of a car and the devices that actually do the work. Instead of operating the steering and brakes directly, the controls would send commands to a central computer, which would instruct the car what to do.
    The great advantage being put forward for this is that the computer is able to make the steering, suspension and brakes work together to give the car better handling, especially in bad road conditions, to give better fuel consumption, and to react to emergencies faster than a human driver could. Though the vehicle would look much the same, it would be transformed into what one industry expert calls “a computer network with a car wrapped round it”.
    The problem for car manufacturers, who are actively researching the systems, is that getting them right is likely to be much less of a problem than convincing drivers—familiar with crashing computers at home—that their cars won’t do the same.
    It’s no accident that the term sounds like fly-by-wire, which is a method of controlling commercial aircraft that has been in use for more than a decade. The term drive-by-wire has been around since the 1980s, though in early examples it could instead refer to methods of automatic steering using circuits embedded in the road surface.
    As far as the industry is concerned, it is only a matter of time before drive-by-wire becomes standard. But some safety experts are questioning the wisdom of this radical change. They point out that fly-by-wire has a bumpy track record. Will the car industry learn from these mistakes, they ask, or make them all over again?

This is the first I knew about this, foot control sending info to the ECU in turn to the throttle body. Indeed computers are taking over the world, and the guy who wrote The Terminator prob isnt far off the mark.. :shock:

Anyway just got me thinking, and it would need to be bullet proof to work the brakes. :!:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast