AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quintezz XT-7000Plus

Anyone tried one of these?

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/XT_...r_Detector.htm

A few people I know are raving about them, and apparently Quentin Wilson rated them in the Sunday Mirror too. The fact they pay your fine for you if you get caught is a big risk for them, which means either they don't care if they go bust, have included the £60 in every units sale price or rate the device very highly.

I wondered if anyone here has tried one?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think thats a load of cr*p....with nearly all lazar detectors you will get a signal from your detector...ie , it could be a mile away and you will pick it up if its in line of sight..the lazer is not always switched on..
    what happens with the hand held guns what the traffic cops use is they will switch it on as you approach them if they think your over the limit so that you will have no time to react and bingo you'll get a ticket...the only way you can catch them out is that they have zapped someone else in front of you..it could be 1 or 10 cars in front and if its in line of sight your detector will pick up the beam and you should have enough time to slow down
    gatso's are always sending out a pulse so will pick them up, but then it depends how senitive your detector is...whats happening now is the lastest gatso's only omit a low pulse so your reaction time is cut right down..the ones near me are low energy and you are almost on the markings before my detector picks up the signal

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Quintezz hasn't performed well in tests, only matching other similarly priced unit.

Laser is very hard to detect, not because of the fact it is laser, but that it is instant-on. A speed check with a laser is done by sighting up on the suspect car and then press a trigger to capture the speed. Up until the trigger is pressed you cannot detect anything. If they're checking you at the time and you're speeding, you're nicked, no question.

I think the makers are covering their backs on this one, they only cover you for 1 year as a fine payment and even then only £60.

Most radar detectors pick up fixed Gatso sites very easily anyway and there is no such thing as 'instant-on' radar that is accurate. If you look into these things, the radar guns have an oscillator which has to be on for a stable reading, this resonates at the radar frequency and can be picked up by a radar detector. On first power up the resonator has to stabilise for a split second, this makes instant-on radar very unreliable and Police won't use it.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Seems cheap if it does what it says on the tin.