Thread: Removalable MP3 units

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Removalable MP3 units

any ideas whats available for something like a MP3 unit that you can remove and connect to ur PC?

I think i remember seeing one by Denion or something similar but is there any others? Anybody usin one?

Cheers

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    1.6 SXI Astra mk4, 2.0 SRI Astra mk4 & Mokka 1.7 4x4
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Follow astra sxi 2003 On Twitter Add astra sxi 2003 on Facebook
    there used to be a system which looked like an auto changer that went into your boot and you could remove part of it and take it to your pc and put more music on it, i know the origanal company went bust and got brought out, cant remember there name though :?
    For all things Electronic, Electrical and Automotive
    Check out my web site www.daycall.co.uk
    x2 Astra mk4 1.6 16v & a Mokka 1.7

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You might be thinking of the "Empeg" unit.

What head unit do you have a present?
    Some manufacturers already have MP3 changers that connect just like a CD Changer & use memory cards that hook up to your PC to hold the data.

HTH
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    divma... no no no...

take your pc to your car and leave it there
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have a look at the Kenwood power keg
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    rusty its something to think about

i think ive seen that kenwood one kitch, i thought there would be more units like this available by now tbh, after this MP3 boom.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, as an addon to your headunit there are two schools of thought amongst the manufacturers.

1. Add on units which work similar to a CD changer you get the likes of Kenwood with the Keg, Rockford with the OmniFI, and Blaupunkt with the MP3 harddrive.

2. Manufacturers like Alpine, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony all have Harddrive units that can be hooked up by different means to a PC or can record directly from the CD to the Hard drive, as you play your CD. Some are available here most are not, but the rumour is that it will be coming to the Rest of the World (i.e. not only Japan) from all the manufacturers over the next few years. Alpine has there's here already, as does Pioneer, but believe you me they are Hard drive mad at the minute. They are even using it for 3D navigation, with split screen views, showing you the actual view of the Street that you are on i.e. a computer image of the buildings and in some cases actual photo's and aerial photos of the street you are on :shock: . Don't expect the Nav anytime soon though as we are a way off but they are well nice to use and I look forward to the day we have this here too...... :roll:

Eclipse are the first to release the HD, nav, MP3 DVD all in one unit outside of Japan but it is rudimentary compered to the Japanese units i.e. it is exactly what we currently get for nav, but it is smart nonetheless.

there used to be a system which looked like an auto changer that went into your boot and you could remove part of it and take it to your pc and put more music on it, i know the origanal company went bust and got brought out, cant remember there name though

You are thinking of the mStation, which is still available now, with up to a 120GB hard drive. Try www.6thplanet.com. This is actually a rather nice unit, as you plug it into you pc to upload the songs, and it then slots into its cradle in the car (very CD changer like). It can be used with a FM modulator or a line in, as it caters for both. Plus it has a seperate display on a cord, which you can locate anywhere in the car. Thish acts like a remote and shows you track info etc.

Other makes to look at are the Denison(as you said), EMPEG (As SQ man said) and off course any mp3 player like the Ipod. All you will need to hook these up are a auxillary port(best) or a FM modulator(worst).

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That mstation looks quite nice actually. I'm unsure whether to spend the money on something like that or just a top end MP3 cd player

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is it an easy enuff thing to do to hook up just a normal mp3 player via the aux in port? would there be any compatability issues???

I like that mStation thou, might go for that option - then ive still got my 2nd DIN slot available for some sort of DVD action

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    divma, I'm deciding between something like the mstation and a fairly high spec MP3 CD player. Any thoughts on either? I can only think that i'd need RCA inputs on my headunit to plug the Mstation in so I would need a new one anyway?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast