Thread: twin turbo MK5 astra

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

twin turbo MK5 astra

anyone seen this weeks auto express. there is a page on the new astra, saying that vauxall are hinting at a twin turbo petrol engine could make its way in to the new astra. . and could be on sale in 2006.

sorry if this is old news but thought id post it anyway
    GTC SRI 2.0 CDTI

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd heard something about a 1.9TT diseseal, but not a petrol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thought the twin turbo model that Vauxhall are considering launching was diesel :?:

Pauses and waits for Matt Smith to correct him

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Auto Express article -
    Forget the Ford Focus Cosworth. Vauxhall is set to unleash a storming 212bhp version of its new Astra with a special twist - it has a turbo-diesel under the bonnet! The car will certainly grab headlines at its launch early in 2005, thanks to a new twin-turbo 1.9-litre oil-burner, which gives 150mph performance and 50mpg economy.

The muscular engine was first seen in the Vectra OPC concept revealed at the Essen Motor Show in January, while last year's Geneva show car, the GTC, hinted at how the model would look.

Although the Astra is still only a prototype, engineers want to make sure it can do 0-60mph in less than six seconds. The newcomer will be one of the first production Vauxhalls to wear the VXR branding as used on the company's BTCC Astra racers. The powerplant will be available only in the three-door Astra, which will be unveiled this autumn.

It's hoped the VXR will create interest in 'lesser' Astra diesels, and Vauxhall is keen to steal sales from VW's Golf GT TDI with the 150bhp Astra CDTI, driven on Page 33.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I hope they still make a petrol vxr as well

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Whatan absolute load of TOSH. Auto Express getting it worng again, about everything they wrote was crap.

The 1.9 CDTi is a 4 cylinder engine, not 5 as they have written. There is NOT a twin Turbo Petrol engine being built, the 240BHP engine is adevelopment of the current Z20LET as we know.

We do know that the Twin Turbo 1.9 CDTi exists and should be coming to the UK in the Vectra, but we were not told at Vauxhall that they were planning to put it in the Astra. But who knows on this one, maybe it will happen.

As for the Astra doing the 0-60 sprint in 5 seconds, well this is not what vauxhall told us last month. between 6 and 6.5 was the figure given.

I swear that these magazines make it up as they go along. The face lifted vectra a few weeks ago was a mock up that Vauxhall new nothing of.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that tt 1.9 lump would be fun in an astra though
    2 Door E350 CDI - OM642 power baby
    emJlZnIgdmYgZmJiYmIgeW5mZyBscm5l

Status
    In House Designer
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Smith
    Whatan absolute load of TOSH. Auto Express getting it worng again, about everything they wrote was crap.

The 1.9 CDTi is a 4 cylinder engine, not 5 as they have written. There is NOT a twin Turbo Petrol engine being built, the 240BHP engine is adevelopment of the current Z20LET as we know.

We do know that the Twin Turbo 1.9 CDTi exists and should be coming to the UK in the Vectra, but we were not told at Vauxhall that they were planning to put it in the Astra. But who knows on this one, maybe it will happen.

As for the Astra doing the 0-60 sprint in 5 seconds, well this is not what vauxhall told us last month. between 6 and 6.5 was the figure given.

I swear that these magazines make it up as they go along. The face lifted vectra a few weeks ago was a mock up that Vauxhall new nothing of.
    i was wondering wtf that vectra thing was about
    Visit our-formats.com for creative design services

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I got quite excited, I thought I was getting a five cylinder. lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im taking all of this with a massive pinch of salt. Shame about the 0.60 time though if that is what its gonna be, anyway lets see. 2006 is a long way off.

Like the new site by the way New smilyes as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast