Thread: MUST READ

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MUST READ

OK, I never ever go in to one shop and buy the first TV I see I shop around. However I have sworn by 2 ICE companies in Scotland central belt that usually do reasonable prices however get this.

I found a headhunt brand new on the web for £149.99 and £10 carriage but the shops were selling for £100+ how sickening, so really do shop about people.

on saying you probally do
    Armadale, Scotland

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What head unit ?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pioneer DEH-P5530MP - CD/MP3 PLAYER
    Armadale, Scotland

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Web bargains

Would be quite a bargain, as long as they actually have them in stock.

This is a well known marketing ploy used by many of those who advertise in magazines, etc.
    It usually goes something like this:

They quote an amazing price, sometimes below the trade cost price, to get you contact them.
    Unfortunately, they've just sold the last one of those particular units you saw advertised to the last person who called just before you did. However, they do have, in stock, the equivalent to it but in a different brand at a slightly higher price.
    You get talked into buying a more expensive unit than you originally intended.
    When/If it finally arrives, you read in the fine print of the invoice that you are responsible for arranging/paying for fitting, removal & transport costs involved if there are any warranty claims.
    If something goes wrong during the first year, you end up with a large bill for removing the unit & returning it to the manufacturers service department, only to discover that it is a "Grey Import" & they don't want to know anything about it.
    Result of it all is you end up very much out of pocket.

The main reason your local dealer has to charge the prices he does is so that he can stay as your local dealer.
    His time, experience & backup services don't come for free.
    Thats where the extra few pounds go.
    Thats why you have a local shop where you can go & physically see/hear the product that you buy.

Sorry if this sounds like the voice of doom, but I've saw this happen too many times.
    I've been heavily involved in the ICE scene for many years, never in the trade professionally, & have seen many a good business go under because of these "Pile it high & shag it out" merchants.
    If it sems like too good a bargain to believe, then it probably is.
    Theres an old saying, "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck & quacks like a duck then on the balance of probability it is a duck".
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Absolutely SQ Man, absolutely. I've just paid my ICE dealer of 15 years standing nearly £1000 more for my setup than I could have bought it for from a 'net store'. But I know it was installed perfectly and more importantly *any* problems - he'll deal with it. He's had my last car apart only to find it wasn't a fault with his kit and charged me nothing.

He's a drinking partner with the owner of a very well known net ICE store and says that guy sells his stuff to the public at trade price - what chance the 'little man in the street'?

Jonathan