Thread: LED alarm light

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LED alarm light

Does any one know how hard it is to fit a flashing LED??

I want to fit a clifford flashing LED to my galfriends pug206 as a visual deterant due to the amount of times the cars gets broken into around her area.

The clifford led has 2 wires, i presume one is a perminant live where would the other go??? i need it to flash when the car in off and the doors are locked.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Tony
    Sold my astra!!! Will be driving a BSM corsa soon!! Then a MK5 VXR Mmmmmm............

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Easiest way to fit a 12 VOLT LED to a car is to connect the + side to a permanent feed 12v and the - side to one of the ignition connections, which will go to earth with the ignition OFF.

Be warned though, that not all LEDs for car use are designed to run off 12v, I've not checked a Clifford, but I know that the LED output on the alarm on the Corsa is only about 4 volts, so if I connected that LED to the battery it would burn out

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You cannot connct a Clifford LED up this way. First off it's not 12v rated & secondly it's the alarm brain that makes it flash.
    What you're after is a 12v self flashing LED.
    Available from Maplin electronics www.maplin.co.uk, Product code QY96E.

Fit the LED somewhere easily seen e.g. top of steering coloumn cover or in a switch blank. Connect the Anode (+ve input side) to a permanent live & connect the Cathode (-ve side) to an ignition line that goes completely dead when you remove the keys.
    This means that when you switch off & remove the keys the LED will start flashing automatically.

HTH
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Man
    You cannot connct a Clifford LED up this way. First off it's not 12v rated & secondly it's the alarm brain that makes it flash.
    What you're after is a 12v self flashing LED.
    Available from Maplin electronics www.maplin.co.uk, Product code QY96E.
    If you wanted to use the Clifford LED, you can buy a flasher unit to make the LED flash.. Make sure it doesn't give out the wrong voltage though, or as Steve said, you'll burn out the LED (just step it down with a resistor).