Thread: **Help!** Any Ideas?????..........

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

**Help!** Any Ideas?????..........

==Astra Mk 4 Yr 2000===CD Auto==

The fan in front of the radiator/AC and the fan behind the radiator won't turn off! I had left the car not realising that they were going to come back to an almost dead battery with the front fans blaring away. Tried pulling out all the relevant (I think) fuses, the big one with the fan logo on the map thingy, and anything to do with the AC, but there doesn't seem to be anything else that has anything do with that part of the car.
    Got my Dad to come and give me a jump so I could get it home, had a look himself and couldn't find anything else that would stop them running. In the mean time have had to disconnect the battery so they stop and I guess go from there.

Any ideas guys?

If there is any other info you need ask away....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK this sounds to me like one of three things:

1 - Faulty temperature sender in the Radiator causing the fans to kick in and not turn off.

2 - Head gasket failure (Although, the fans should still turn off)

3 - Faulty thermostat.

Suggestion:

Have you tried disconnecting the multiplugs that run from the fans to the sender units? This should turn them off long enough for you to get the car somewhere to get it diagnosed and the sensors changed if you don't fancy tackling it yourself.

Just quickly check it's not HGF by checking two things before starting it up again:

1st - Check the engine coolant header tank by removing the cap and looking for any signs of oil contamination. You'll see it floating on the top of the coolant as oil is thicker than water.

2nd - Remove the oil filler cap from the engine and inspect it for any water contamination. This will be indicated by a build up around the cap of a nasty light brown cream like gunge.

If all the above seems OK, proceed with disconnecting the fans and either take it to a garage or replace yourself either the main temperature thermostat or the radiator temp sender.

HTH's

Mick

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just had another thought although be it a silly one:

Have you got any coolant in the car?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    PPSSSHHHHH..........ahhhh.....gee.

Well it had a service about 2k km's ago, so I wouldn't have thought it was too drastic.
    Would the faulty temp sender keep them running when everything was off?
    And, pray tell, what are these multi plugs and where are they? :?

Thanks

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's past midnight here now, so I'll have a look around in the morning and see what happens.
    Thanks for the help. If there is anything else y'all think off let me know.

Cheers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm assuming you've got coolant then

To find where the plugs connect to the radiator simply follow the wires from the back of the fan to where they plug in to the radiator. I believe that the fans on the Astra G (aka Mk4) are allowed to over-run when the ignition is switched off to allow cooling. If the temp sender was faulty and sending a false signal it would in theory cause the fans to stay on.

Start there as it's cheap

Night, Night - Mick

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a similar problem, when I took my key out of the ignition the fan would stay running for about half an hour until the battery was dead. I tried all the obvious things like temperature sensors and thermostats but nothing helped. Then I discovered that when I took the connention for the wiring loom off the ECU and reseated it the problem stopped immediately.
    CraggY

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    A ex girlfriends dad had this problem while his car was under warrenty, nothing would stop the fans apart from disconecting the battery.

Turned out there's a control unit in the passenger wheel arch that had gone faulty, if you go back through the posts in the general section you will find what i'm on about with mark-dj asking what the multiplug was for
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I had a look around in the morning. Everything checked out, nothing that was messd up or anything.
    I did find the fuse box under the bonnet though, hadn't noticed in the dark in between swear words! Pulled out one of those fuses and Hey Presto! Fans off. After taking it out whenever I park up, the problem seems to have righted itself.
    The car is going in to Holden on Mon to get somthing else fixed so they're going to have a look at it then. Though I have the feeling they will say nothing is wrong and not to worry. Just like the other unexplainable hitches with the car that they can't seem to find let alone fix.
    This car (sometimes!) annoys the c#%p out of me.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Makes a difference knowing what to look for instead of saying to myself, "well, the engine's still there....."

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have the same problem with mine and vauxh never find out whats causing it,Thankfully it aint that common.