Thread: astra lowering

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra lowering

how low can an astra on 17's go,with akit on (samurai) and still be able to clear speed bumps?

how expensive is it to get airbags for an astra?
    lean mean weed smoking machine

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure on how low you can go safely without the risk of grounding but I can tell you this as a civil engineer.

Speed bumps or Traffic calming measures as they're more commonly know as in Nottingham are built to various standards depending on who's designed them and where they're gonna be installed but here's the basic principals for you. The "vertical features" come in three basic styles:

"round topped humps"
    "square cushions"
    "plateaus"

Humps are used in residential streets. Cushions are used on bus and emergency routes. Plateaus are generally used at pedestrian crossings on bus routes. Originally all these features were 100mm high, which is still legal, but since about 1995 the maximum heights have generally been lowered to reduce the risk of grounding. In Nottingham we currently we use 75mm for round topped humps and 70mm for plateaus and cushions. All the features in the City comply with government regulations and they are individually checked after construction to make sure the height is within acceptable tolerances. Traffic calming schemes are introduced to reduce casualties and deter through traffic in residential areas. Schemes reduce casualties by about 60%, and they will continue to be installed for this reason. Full consultation with the residents occurs in an area before a scheme is introduced and elected members consider objections before construction is approved (Supposedly).

So, to sum up.... Go as low as you like mate but Id leave a minimum of 100mm+ clearance cos Mr Police man just loves to issue you tickets for destroying our already useless roads even more.

Mick

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good answer!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie
    Good answer!
    Thanks, I thought so but I can talk about various construction methods all day long. Christ only know's what my missus see's in me :shock:

As for the Airbag issue, I'd try a local scrappers mate unless it's the one in the passenger side of the dash. It'll be much cheaper than buying a new one from GM.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i mean aibags as in the kind that raise and lower the car

thanks for the info,ill check the local council info on this matter asap
    lean mean weed smoking machine