0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ticking noise comming from top of the engine

Hello,

Model: MK4 5 Door LS Hatch
    Engine: X16XEL
    Year/Reg: 1999

After a longish trip last night, I've noticed a ticking noise comming from the top of the engine. It goes inline with the revs. literally, the engine sounds like a diesel!!!
    What would that be?
    How urgent would it be? (Both nearest Vaux dealers are fully booked for the rest of the week)
    Possible costs???

Cheers,
    Kakourdos
    Unts! Unts! Unts!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could well be something to do with the cambelt...
    I did a few that sounded like a diesel.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have the same problem, every1 on here said it was to do with the cambelt / tensioners / rollers, which is all replaced when the new cam belt kit goes in. (doesnt come just as a cam belt now apparantly, u get the whole kit)

mines goin in on thu so il let u no if the problems resolved

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

How much should I expect to be charged for changing the whole lot? cambelt, tensioners, rollers and water pump?
    I had the cambelt changed like 20-25k miles ago and I am pretty sure they did not touch any other of the parts (only a "toothed belt" was on the parts list, on the receipt).

Cheers,
    Kakourdos
    Unts! Unts! Unts!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Silly suggestion but it might save you valuable £££

Have you checked your oil level? If it's a tapping noise from the top end, i'm betting the valve stems are dry and there is no oil getting up to them which is making it sound like a Mk2 Fiesta.

You should also keep an eye on your cam belt. Vauxhall recomend that it gets changed every 40,000 miles or 4 years (Which ever occurs first). Don't skimp on this item cos you'll regret it if it snaps and the cost of a new head on a G is enough to make your ass pucka with fear :shock:

Mick

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

Well... after my second post, I called the road assistance.
    It was definatelly not the cambelt to my relief.

It was just a bit low in oil! :s which what I am worried about now. I guess I will monitor the level more often and check for leaks. (I guess a bit of cardboard under the car should do the trick)

Regarding the cambelt change, back then I didn't really know much about cars... now the situation is slightly improved and at least I know what to ask/check when certain things need servicing...

Cheers everyone,
    Kakourdos
    Unts! Unts! Unts!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bet this is coming from the top left of the engine, by the airbox ?

IF this is, then it could be a small circular device by the suspension turret, behind the airbox. This is something to do with emissions, and mine is quite noisey. Nothing to worry about however

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kakourdos
    It was just a bit low in oil
    Oi Oi !! Glad it's all sorted mate.

I dind't think it was your cambelt and I wouldn't worry about the fact that your car was low on oil. All engines burn oil at various rates... just make sure you keep an eye on it to make sure it's not droping or spewing it out somewhere under the bonet.

From a self service point of view, always check your level at least once a month and always check it before starting out on a long run. I would say change your oil every 10,000 miles but some would disagree with me on that point.

Mick

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

LN, it was definetely the oil level... as when they chap topped it up, and reved the engine for a while... the ticking noise just dissapeared...

Regarding noise comming from the top left of the engine... to be honest there isn't any... unless I lift the bonnet and try quite hard.. it may be there but it's got to be very faint... at least so far...

I would also like to change the oil more regularly (than every 10k) and DIY, but where I live, If i get seen doing such stuff I may get a bollocking by the estate management so I would say... lack of space...

Cheers,
    Kakourdos
    Unts! Unts! Unts!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What you have to remember, is that just coz the oil level is a bit low, doesn't mean that there is a leak somewhere, all engines use oil & Vauxhall use figures of 1litre per 1000 miles for all the petrol engines I think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast