Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone a PC engineer ?

Hi folks,

Im thinking about studying a PC engineers course (A+).

Just looking for info on what this involves and the kind of job I might get at the end.

I have often thought about starting my own business and I think custom built PC systems is an option. I also thought about having some pre-buit "off the shelf" systems.

If anyone has any thoughts / advice i`d like to hear from you.

Cheers

Allan
    im bored !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think UK_Engineer is a computer engineer, he'll no doubt tell you all you want to know when he sees this

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if ur needin any staff allan then gives a shout id be more than happy to get paid for flinging a few computers together!

i think A16VCY had some mircsoft certification stuff for sale - might set you on ur way.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well Iíve been studying IT/computers since I left school, Iíve got Advance GNVQ in IT, an A level in IT, a HND in Software Engineering and Iím in year 2 of my BSC (hons) computing degree. If you want to go into the hardware side of things there is much to know if you want to fix onboard components, these days most of the hardware is so cheap itís usually just as cheap to replace the board rather than fix it (including labour)! So really you can get away with knowing how to identify problems and building computer systems, which is fairly simple! Most people I know who work/own shops like what you are talking about have few/little qualifications; they have just picked it up as they have gone along! If you plan on fixing computers, you will need to learn a bit about various operating systems, most problems people come to you with will be because the computer is running slow or because a device is conflicting, which can appear like a hardware problem!
    Be warned though, there isnít as much money in it as there used to be, itís an extremely competitive market.
    Good luck though mate!
    towerstimes.co.uk

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i agree with you there

terrible market to be in. Im a Technician and to be honest as mentioned above, the parts are so much cheaper now to buy and replace, rather than repair.

You will just need a few pointers into what hardware does what, and how its put together in the case.

You will need to know a fair bit about computers and operating systems when it comes to device driver conflicts and stuff, but its dead easy to do these days...

Best of luck in your venture

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info folks. I was planning to do it around my current job and see how things go. Who knows what might happen.

Im more intrested in the building and reparing side of things so will be looking into that.

cheers
    im bored !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRI Allan
    Thanks for the info folks. I was planning to do it around my current job and see how things go. Who knows what might happen.

Im more intrested in the building and reparing side of things so will be looking into that.

cheers

best idea mate, i worked for a company for 2yrs, in the end gave up, they were so competive, it involved having to work more and more!

I still do pc repairs, i have many people who still phone me for everything related to pcs.

I am now a Fire Alarm & Emergency Light Test Engineer.

Has above posts say, theres not a lot of money in it any more, doing the odd VAT free private helps though.

A+ is ok, but wouldnt say it was like very hard or anything, and costs too much!

Good luck
    Zafira B SRi Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't even bother quoting now for desktop PCs as I just cannot beat Dell or even PC World plus I have the hassle of honouring the warranty.

Selling PCs and Servers in a package deal with a year's support pays a little better, but quite often people want brand name servers so reselling Compaq (for instance) might be a way to go.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the difference is pc world, dell, compaq and so on use cheap shite inside, especially the motherboards
    Zafira B SRi Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i buy from VIP and MicroDirect, so i got loads of leeway on price has there so cheap to buy in, if you source work in essex, you can easily earn onsite repairs @ £65+vat per hour!!!!! plus parts which you make up prices for.
    Zafira B SRi Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast