Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gritter Lorries!!

Heres a good one for you guys..

On my way to work this morning approx 7-30am, pulling up to long sweeping roundabout, To my horror coming from my nearside is a gritter lorry.. no lights flashing, probably hitting 40mph'ish, only sidelights on.. It was dark enough for me to use dipped beam so god knows why he didnt have his on.

The roads are dead, I reverse back 15-20 yards to avoid the spread, to my horror I see him swinging further over to my side, as if hes intending to get my car. To be honest I'd class it as dangerous driving.

Well he suceeded, covered my car, Ive just had it cleaned and the whole nearside, bonnet, roof, windows are covered, windscreen is chipped to hell.

How do I stand over this... Can I submit a claim?

My car looks terrible you can see the chips from a good 15ft away.

Ive registered a call with the local council, the matter needs to be discussed with a supervisor from the Highways department on monday.

Before anyone starts about only doing it for our own good I appreciate that, but Its the way he swept right over and across me thats got me narked, plus no flashing lights or dipped lights on, cue my driving without due care and attention concern.

Thanks for reading, help or advice would be great!
    Regards
    Rich C

Former owner of Astra SXi.. New owner of a Satin Silver Civic Type R.. "Bye Bye GTi"!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    don't have a clue mate, but good luck! getting money out of the council is a time consuming business normally!

let us know how you get on.... will be interesting to find out the result
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds to me like he was trying to get you on purpose, It definalty wants reporting, check whether they were any Cameras on that strech of road and if so grab your chance, The Council should repair the car for you and that driver of the gritter wants reporting.

Good luck mate

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Sounds like you've got a claim.

Get your camera and go down to where it happened and take as many photos as possible of the road etc.
    Take plenty of the damage to your car too.
    The sooner the better. (as in NOW)

Then send a letter of complaint to your council. (don't send any pics).
    They will send you a letter giving there insurance details and the address of their insurance company.
    Get a quote in writing from a Vauxhall dealer for all the repairs.
    You will have to write letters and yea it is a drawn out process, but stick with it.
    If you don't hear much after 3-4 months write to the insurance company and tell them they have 7 days to come to an agreement and settle the claim, or you will persue the matter through the small claims court (it might be a good idea to pop down to your local county court to get all the relavent info first).

They will normally then write back to you offering you nothing.
    Take them to the small claims court. (Use your photos as evidence).

They will basically hold out until you give in. If you are stubborn and hold out to go to court. They will possibly chicken out and pay you.

It took me 1 year and 1 week to get any money out of my local council, but when my cheque arrives it'll be worth the wait............

Keep us informed how you get on. If you need any more info/help PM me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if the spread covered you like that he was obviously goin too fast. ive seen shop windows on the main road round here get smashed cause of them

get a couple of mates to say they were with you, if you didnt have any witnesses

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ditto to divma, witnesses r v. important in these sorta cases.

Sorry, did u say a bystander saw the whole incident and u took his name and address details in case there was any problems with the claim

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good luck to you getting money out of them, but I thinking you will be wasteing your time. If its that bad go through he insurance company. Thats what I had to do a few years ago.
    The owner of a silver Astra GSI Turbo.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman
    Good luck to you getting money out of them, but I thinking you will be wasteing your time. If its that bad go through he insurance company. Thats what I had to do a few years ago.
    why should he have to go thru his insurance thou?

what happened to yours mate?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Definitely sounds like he was going for you - probably because he saw you trying to take evasive action :roll:

I'm afraid I don't think you have a chance getting any money out of the council - it's going to be one of those 'your words against his' situations. No doubt to complicate matters the council probably also contract the service out ....

What does surprise me is the size of the grit. I have seen several press reports that councils etc are using a much finer grit to avoid just such issues - indeed only last week I was 'done by a gritter' in the company van (Astra actually ) and was waiting for the shatter of stone against metal when I was pleasantly surprised at the silence as it went by. Seemed more like a very fine sand so I was glad they seem to be addressing this annual pain in the a**e issue.

Jonathan

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i was done like this last week on a country back road

i had my mum in the car and she jumped in her seat cos the grit hit the cars so bloody hard

also he seemed to be spreading VERY high as most of it went over the bonet and hit the windows

but i am a lazy ass who wont take it further
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast