Thread: Phase 3 turbo?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Phase 3 turbo?

Well had my astra coupe down at Regal today and went to a phase 3 from a phase 2 as my old turbo was knackered!
    The wastgate was totally jammed the recylce dump valve was being pushed off and had stripped some thread so leaking air and there was a crack in the housing plus the turbo clamp had been split!

I am kinda confused though as the phase 3 turbo costs £740 on the website and thats what i was quoted and paid but I was also charged another £170 to get the old turbo repaired so that Regal cost then get it reconditioned so they could sell it?? Is that right?? and if so if I bought the turbo on it's own say over the net would it now cost nore than £740 to cover their loss from the exchange one that they won't get as i would buy the turbo on it's own??
    I tried going through the buy process on the net up to the point where i put my CC details in and the price was still £740. So why have I paid them to get my turbo repaired so that they can sell it and make more when it belongs to me?

Anyone have any ideas as I think it should be clear whether there is an exchange required?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds about right as the phase 3 turbo is the orignal turbo with upgraded internals.

But your right it isn't very clear on the site!

How are you finding phase 3????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think youll find the £740 price for phase 3 would be on exchange basis, since yours was knackered, you got charged a bit extra
    YOUR FRIENDLY WINDSCREEN MAN

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £740 is the exchange price. The phase III turbos are still the same units as standard wtih different vanes and bearings. This allows higher boost to be kept longer.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't know that , does this phase 3 turbo have a different compressor wheel as well?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Phase 3 turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by pieman
    Well had my astra coupe down at Regal today and went to a phase 3 from a phase 2 as my old turbo was knackered!
    The wastgate was totally jammed the recylce dump valve was being pushed off and had stripped some thread so leaking air and there was a crack in the housing plus the turbo clamp had been split!
    Sounds a bit worrying, is this due to the phase II, lack of servicing, switch off without cooling off or just vaxhall part failure??
    If it more an issue with the phase II how long you been running it?

If that what happens with a phase II might think twice about any software remap.

I agree with markja and LN about regal it is £740 exchange, they have to make that loss back.

As Max_The _mole says how you finding phase III? it must be quite awesome
    Astra VXR - 1st RIP - Black, 19"s, Climate, Cruise n Full Milltek
    The Black one
    http://www.mrmike.toucansurf.com/TheBlackOne/
    Blue RIP
    http://www.mrmike.toucansurf.com/TheAff/

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Proberly just a one off thing as there are plenty of people in the uk and europe with phase kits or software and they haven't had these problems .

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it is a crack in the turbo housing then this is a manufacturing fault.

Certainly would not find that even under extreme pressure. These units are designed to spin arounf 110,000 rpm, and work at extreme temps.

Certainly odd account !

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Went to Phase 3 with my Coupe in South Africa. They took my turbo and upgraded the internals with much bigger compressor wheel, looking at getting 240kw when done. The previous coupe they did the same compressor wheel as Regal/EDS and got an easy 220kw without much tuning.

A complete Phase 3 turbo would cost a lot more, I was also under the impression that buying a phase 3 over the net would give you a complete new turbo, thus you could keep your standard one to put back when you sell.

It is cheaper to go the non KKK route but then your coupe loses what it does best, have lots of torque low down.

I'll post my dyno graph when I have it.
    Midnight Black Opel Coupe Turbo
    SGM Styling kit
    12" Pioneer Sub

Performance with style...
    www.astracoupeclub.za.org

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I read somewhere to stay well away from reconditioned turbo's, costing £800 - £900, id want a brand new one :x
    Courtenay Astra Coupe Turbo: 281 bhp & 273 lb ft torgue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast