Thread: Touring Cars will be . . .

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Touring Cars will be . . .

VX Racing has confirmed it will be running the Vauxhall Astra Coupé in its challenge for the 2004 British Touring Car Championship. The team has elected to continue with the Vauxhall Astra Coupé after strong competition from its stable-mate, the Vauxhall Vectra, in recent tests.

The Vauxhall Astra Coupé has dominated the BTCC in recent years, with VX Racing securing the team, manufacturers’ and drivers’ championship for a third consecutive year in 2003. However, the recent comparative tests have lead to wide debate and the eagerly anticipated decision on which model will race in 2004.

Mike Nicholson, Motorsport Manager, Vauxhall Motors, explained: “Both the Vectra and Astra performed extremely well in testing, and it was a difficult decision to make. For 2004 we have committed to carry on with the Astra, but we continue to look at all our options.”

Regular VX Racing drivers, Yvan Muller and James Thompson also return for the 2004 season and will be joined by new recruit, 2003 BTCC Production Class champion, Luke Hines.

Muller is thrilled to be piloting the Astra: “I will be defending my championship in the Astra which means we can begin 2004 where we left off in 2003, so it is good for me and for the team. The Vectra has a lot of potential – perhaps we will see it on the grid in the future.”

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats a strange tactical decision. I reckon there is more to it than meets the eye.

Vauxhall would be pushing to get the Vectra racing with it being a current car with longer to go until facelift or renewal, whereas the Astra coupe would not generate as many sales.

I would have thought there was a bigger diffence than VXR is letting on and that in reality the coupe is much better and benefitting from increased development, over the Vectra - which there is no denying is a heavy car.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hopefully the hot Vectra will still make an appearance this year, preferebly with the 3.5 VVT rather than a buzzy four pot.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Next years session should be much closer, Honda's and MG's will be alot tougher to beat than last year.

If any of you guys want to see the best touring car race for this session, book tickets for Rockenham, the best place to watch Toca as you can see eveything, check the rocks website to see there stadium its very large.

Up the VX racing, this time with thompson winning

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm really glad they've kept the coupe, it's a winning formula and as the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!)
    Never, EVER, pull a monkeys tail!!!

My Car : http://photobucket.com/albums/v75/SteveW1/

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i bet this is gonna be the coupe's last season, they'll have another year of testing and developing the vectra,

gonna try and get to see some meetings this year...

why dont we organize a weekend at one of the race meets??????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I heard from someone at Vauxhall that they are wanting to develop a 4WD version of the Vectra, to go head to head with other makers like Subaru and Toyota (in certain markets (NOT THE UK!) the Avensis is equipped with a 2.4 engine and 4WD).

Thinking back to when Audi competed with their A4 4WD and kicked everyone into the bushes, perhaps the extra development time on the Vectra is for a homologation period of the 4WD??

Possible :roll:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    isnt the btcc limited to 2.0 na? or am i hideously out of date! lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is limited to a normally aspirated 2.0 engine, but they can use any drive train provided it is the same type as the production model (ie FWD,RWD,4WD). The 4WD would give an edge on any car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This all sounds very exciting and i hope they do make the 4WD Vectra, as for this years Racing i think the VX will do ok, it held the Honda and Mgs off pretty much all year last year. Besides Muller and Thomspon will be used to them.

It will be a shame if they do decide to stop the Astra Coupe, They should of done a 4wd version. That would of been brilliant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast