Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rear speakers for MK4 Astra Hatch

Hey peeps.

Need opinions on this one... as it'd prob cost me too much to just try it! lol

Current audio setup:

Pioneer 8100 cd headunit and 9200 graphic equaliser as source.
    2 Pioneer amps in boot install
    1 amp powers 2x 10" Kenwood subs at 200w to each one
    the other amp powers Boston accoustic fronts and Pioneer 6x9s in my rear shelf - the amp is 4x100w but I have the gain turned down to about 1/3 of max if not less otherwise it goes too loud too quickly on the volume control and doesn't offer much room for adjustment.

Anyway thats the current setup.

Plan for subs???
    Now I think I'd like to replace the two 10 inch subs for 12s. prob 2x 12" Alpines ( they look cool lol ) or possibly just bigger kenwoods. This would surely give me deeper bass yeah? As mine do sound strained when loud. ok so am I correct? And would the amp's 2x200w be sufficiant? It's just that both amps look exactly the same and are built into a false floor... to change one would look crap! lol

Plan for rear speakers???
    The Pioneer 6x9s are good, they do what I want them to do and that's just provide a bit of filler to the back. The front speakers are excellent and can't fault them. However what I was thinking of doing was to replace those 6x9s that are in a heavy stealth shelf with speakers similar to my front ones but in the stock locations in the quarter panels. How would that sound? Or would that just cause more vibrations etc and sound worse? It means I can ditch the parcel shelf for a standard one and save some weight and rattling around as it bounces sometimes... should also make the subs sound a bit better??

Sorry for the long post!!!

Cheers!
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't bother, the difference between the stock rears and the replacements will be marginal unless you spend £1ss on speakers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well was thinking of getting boston accoustic speakers for the stock locations to replace the Pionner 6x9s I have in my rear shelf... also would save weight from the stealth shelf and also wouldn't have to put up with it rattling so much. Also I was told it would make the subs sound better as they are in the boot below the 6x9s just now???

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Most audio 'buffs' don't recommend having 6x9s anyway Shaan.
    In theory your subs could damage them.

Sounds good replacing the stock rears.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you must keep the 6*9's then get some mini boxes made up for em and the subs won't damage em,however,the sound produced by 6*9's is very directional (in this case straight up).with a set of comps you have more flexibility.if you have a 5 door like me then i'm guessingyour tweeter sections are higher in the doors,an idea there is possibly to make custom brackets to point em forwards.as for rattles,just use sound deadening,try out the talkaudio forums www.talkaudio.co.uk
    lean mean weed smoking machine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool cheers for that link.

I played about with the setup... turned off the 6x9s and removed the shelf ( much better without it rattling and the extra weight of it ). But came across that one of my subs has a crack in it so need to get a new one doh! So not sure now whether to go for replacing it for the same again, or swapping both for 12s. Decisions decisions......

I am pretty sure that I'll be swapping the shelf and 6x9s out for a set of decent speakers for the rear quarters though.

So I know that 13cm speakers will fit but how deep??? Anyone know the maximum depth for speakers in the rear quarter of a 3dr MK4 ????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Shaan, if you are using the rear speakers for fill than there is no need for expensive speakers back there. Me I tend to prefer a decent set of co-axials which is what I have done in my car(5 door) as to my ear they sounded better than the components did and I like to pamper my passengers a bit. I used JL audio 5.25 XR co-axes with the stock tweeter in the rear mainly because they were free and thrown in with my front speakers, but in truth any decent sounding speakers even the stock speakers will do the trick if setup right.

Remeber rear fill is just what it says filler for the sound from the front speakers, so if they are distracting you from the sound of the fronts they are not setup right. It should sound seamless.(I hope this makes sense)

I have never really been a fan of 6X9 in the astra as I have always felt that in conjunction with the subs they detracted from the overall sound, even when they are in there own enclosures, so I would ditch those.

As for the subs you might end up replacing the broken one and still not think that you have enough bass, in which case 2x12" might be you only choice.