Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

20xe'd Astra 3, My jobs yesterday

As Mig's down I thought I would get on and do some work instead

The idles been sitting at 1K for the last week or more and I do remember it being at 850rpm when I first put the engine in 3 weeks ago, so I thought I would have a good clean out.

Ran the engine up to temp first to soften any carp thet may be in the pipework or icv. Checked the large camcover breather pipe, that was clear. The small one wasnt so I did what I normally do with the 18xe and sprayed carb cleaner down it followed by the (dont laugh) foot pump, normally 30psi and plop out comes a lump of sludge and its all clear till next time. No such luck today, had to rod it out with a bit of 1sq/mm copper wire to get it clear. Removed the air feed pipe to the icv and squirted some cleaner/lubricant down the tube, refitted and started engine.
    Still ticks over at 1K....grrrr.

Off with the icv and hoses, didnt look dirty, still had the lub in it from earlier. Washed it out anyway with carb cleaner, re-lubed, inspected hoses, no splits, refitted. Start engine, idles at 2K now! blip throttle and it now hunts between 2K and 2.5K, blip throttle again and its 850rpm. Stop engine try again and same happens. Tried moving the icv about with engine running, no change...grrr again.

Got spare icv out and cleaned/ lubed it, fitted that one and back to 1K idle but no nasty ups and downs. Put on engine loads like lights rear screen etc and idles at 850rpm.
    Thought I would leave well enough alone at this point as its obvously a black art.
    Just as a test I moved the traction control butterfly right over to full shut and the engine idles nice at 850rpm, so I wonder if someone has played with the main throttle stop and opened it too much for the icv to control? Cable has slack at idle btw.

I also fitted a golf programmable wiper delay relay, that works a treat

The cam cover has been drilled on this 20xe so last week I thought as I had some oil leaking past the filler cap I would try to reduce the crankcase pressure a bit with the catch tank mod. Didnt like that as fumes from the open pipe to the tank were getting in the cabin, so I removed it before I did the above, what I did find was about 2 tablespoons of murky water (condensate) in the tank when I removed it, just goes to show what is getting recirc'ed through the engine normally. That was after around 150miles, but quite a few cold start/short runs.

Today I had the task of reparing the wiring to the ignition switch where previous owners had fitted immobilisers and were too lazy to find other places to hack into the wiring. No point whatsoever in connecting immobilisers just next to the ignition switch as that the first place a twocer will look for alterations. They used scotchlocks as well!
    Solder and heatshrink later, all repaired. New immobiliser fitted and wired, no I'm not saying where to
    Wanted: Astra GSI fanstyle wheel center cap.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice to get a few jobs done, should be trouble free now?

She all finish?, mind you you've got another to get sored as well :roll:
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are always jobs to do Martin

The Cesaro you saw has your bonnet on it, 18xe in it as before still going well and seemed to like a green cone too!
    Got all the gsi stuff, bumpers, spoiler, grill all sprayed and ready to fit in the spring.
    The CD (20xe'd) needs a full T-cut and polish and I have a new gsi bonnet in primer plus gsi front and rear bumpers and spoiler and 15" fanstyle gsi wheels to go on yet.
    I have a 20xe sitting here waiting for a rebuild or just to go in the Cesaro as is but I may pass on that and sell the engine, dont know yet.
    I also have now a complete 18xe, minus bent valved head for spare parts should I need them for the Cesaro, oh and an F16 and F20 gearbox spare.

Nice to have 2 cars both on the road so I can choose which to use and which to play with

Starting to look like a VX spares dept in my garage!

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You have been very busy!! I wish I had the know how to even do it then maybe my car would be on the road that bit quicker.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    You have been very busy!! I wish I had the know how to even do it then maybe my car would be on the road that bit quicker.
    It may be fun to do in small doses but you'll soon get pi55ed off with doing it, sometimes I think why do I bother.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like you have been busy.

I remember working on a 16v GTE when I was at Vauxhall. Cleaning out the ICV under the inlet manifold. Firstly I cleaned the throttle housing out with carb cleaner to clear the scum...nice and shiny now. The I took the car up on the ramp and took the ICV off the manifold. This dribbled carb cleaner on to the car and me. Then I dropped the naffing IVC onto the starter motor which sparked....

Ignitied the carb cleaner and set me alight..shoite.

Then real comedy proceded, me flapping about on fire until one of the autosparkies grabbed a powder fire extinguisher and covered me from head to toe.

What a job....car ran sweet afterwards though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @Ross

(Why did Vxl ever stick that bloody IVC in that place on the 20XE?).

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    With the inlet design they had no choice, they soon learnt that it wasnt the best place though as the ecotec has a much better placing.
    I am still toying with the idea of moving mine though, just by the fuel vent valve would be ideal. I dont think the lag on the longer pipework will be to much of a problem....I hope!