Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cheap LED's

Wanting cheap leds for your car (UK)>>>

10 LED's and 10 12V resistors for under a £5 and even less for bulk orders...

InGan/Saphire chip (Ultra Bright)

Long lasting (>100,000hrs)

Luminosity: 7000-8000mcd @ 20mA (White)

Viewing Angles: ±10 degrees (White)

http://www.siliconmachines.com/elect...leds/index.htm

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ican get them even cheaper than that, but don't bother, i'd rather let steve and evil(MIG) struggle with the soldering
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can get them for £1.95 for 10 + 470 Ohm Resistors and soldering them to a PSB and Bulbcases is piss easy..

Just thought you all should know..

Have a good new year every one

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    and soldering them to a PSB and Bulbcases is **** easy..
    not what i ask for
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thats not for you Nrj but for peeps like me that like to experiment why not have a go

maby add some intresting custom designs to your front and back lights or some nice internal light designs.

Why not convert your old indicater bulbs to leds? eliminating that fried egg look and not needing to change them for the life time of your car plus get a much more vibrant colour..

I will post some HOW TO's some time next week...

Simple fact is if your mechanical minded and have basic knowledge of how a bulb works + in one side - out the other why buy led replacement bulbs that cost a fortune when you can make them your self ? .

HOW TO's are to follow soon.......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have found the off the shelf 12v LEDs don't fair well when it comes to operating on a car, as they seem to have a high failure rate, probably due to the fact that the voltage on a car goes up to 14.4v with the alternator running.

Be wary of very cheap LEDs as well, when I first started modding my car I bought some 'ultra bright' LEDs off eBay, which were supposedly rated at 30mA. They were very unreliable, which leads me to believe they were in fact 20mA 'mega bright' LEDs and the seller had overated them to make them brighter.

The 470 ohm resistor is the lowest you should go on any conventional LED, as this is the value for a 30mA ultra bright (the ones on that website are sold for fitting in PCs, which have a proper 12v supply). Other types do work OK at this current, but I have seen a fair few jobs on cars where the LEDs fail and it has always been due to people trying to get more light out of cheaper LEDs.

You can get away with overrating on things like PC CPUs etc, as they have a heatsink to disipate excess heat generated. An LED won't and it will blow very quickly. I tried 25% overrating on ultra bright LEDs and the life drops to hours, rather than 1000's of hours.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the ones on that website are sold for fitting in PCs, which have a proper 12v supply
    No there not come on you and I both know that. I have orderd loads from Julia for light mods for all sorts of transport from cars to push bikes

These LED's are True 30mA max InGan/Saphire chip 5mm LED's ..

If your not happy with them or in the unlikely event one fails you can send them back..

God I sound like a sales person lol

Anyway I've used them for a long time sofar and no probs and I'll post some tutorials on light/bulb mods and soldering/wiring , PSB's, Series and parallel circuits etc soon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Cheap LED's

Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    Luminosity: 7000-8000mcd @ 20mA
    Are you sure mate ? Only the UV ones are rated at 30mA on that site, all the others are rated at the lower rating. You need a 720 ohm resistor to run a 20mA LED in a car and maintain the life.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All led's I have run at a max of 30mA but to maintain the life that is stated on the site you will have to run them at 20mA its up to you ..

But running at 25-30mA will still give you a long running time (Years)

To find out what ohm resistor you need to run them at the mA you wish use a LED calc >>

http://metku.net/index.html?sect=vie...calc/index_eng

Remember running at a lower milliamp will reduse luminosity and increase life span and it will do the opposite if incresing the milliamp..

Anyway the point of the post is to help you to mod your car with LED'S and the first step is getting good LED's for a sensible price which can be hard.

Why do this ? (ie) Two max power blue grill led's for £11.95 come on it must cost less that £4 to make them.....

4 Varad LED Accent Lights for £16.95 daylight robers...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey! You're preaching to the converted here matey

My kits are quite expensive when sold out to people (although a lot of buyers would likely say not) BUT I do take a lot of time making them up, which is probably where the retail costs come in with a lot of LED products.

I would be wary of overrating the LEDs, not all LEDs are rated at 30mA and they really do lose life if hammered, I found this when I developed the footwell lighting kits for the Astra G, I tried the same trick on the UV side lights in my car, same thing, LEDs died within days again.

Some of the Varad kit is very trick, I have their laser for my car security system. Can't be any tricker than the speedo flashing 'SECURITY' in red to deter thieves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast