Thread: Astra Coupe Turbo Upgrades

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Coupe Turbo Upgrades

I have a coupe turbo with a stage 2 conversion on it (bigger intercooler, new pipes, new airbox, filter etc, dump valve and new software = 250bhp). It has made a huge difference to the car! 0-60 down to under 6 seconds and the 30-70 sprint is 5 seconds!!! That's as quick as an Evo VIII or an Impreza WRX Sti!!

My question is this. Has anyone gone from the phase 2 to the phase 3 with the hybrid turbo. Would you recommend doing it? Its going to cost over a grand to install just for an extra 20bhp or so. Also, I have not upgraded the exhaust system yet. Would there be any performance gains to be made there too? Any help greatly appreciated.

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello mate, and welcome to AS.

Yes I`ve got Regal phase 3 hybrid turbo, with Courtenay front pipe, sports cat, 2 3/4" straight thru zorst and Piper Viper.

Well worth it, aint much catches me
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Hello mate, and welcome to AS.

Yes I`ve got Regal phase 3 hybrid turbo, with Courtenay front pipe, sports cat, 2 3/4" straight thru zorst and Piper Viper.

Well worth it, aint much catches me
    theres your answer right there mate
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the one and only man that can speak from experiance has spoken
    YOUR FRIENDLY WINDSCREEN MAN

Status
    Used to be a Gold Member
    but it fell off.
    Fortunately AndyH
    found the superglue...
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    If you can afford it...do it..

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Astra Coupe Turbo Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by matrhos
    I have a coupe turbo with a stage 2 conversion on it (bigger intercooler, new pipes, new airbox, filter etc, dump valve and new software = 250bhp). It has made a huge difference to the car! 0-60 down to under 6 seconds and the 30-70 sprint is 5 seconds!!! That's as quick as an Evo VIII or an Impreza WRX Sti!!

My question is this. Has anyone gone from the phase 2 to the phase 3 with the hybrid turbo. Would you recommend doing it? Its going to cost over a grand to install just for an extra 20bhp or so. Also, I have not upgraded the exhaust system yet. Would there be any performance gains to be made there too? Any help greatly appreciated.
    I would imagine you to struggle to see the full 250bhp from the upgrades. It's quoted as those figures but we know alot differently. The figures cannot be verified easily YET, so it's all theory. Also the 0-60 under 6secs seems a little optimistic. No offence, just trying to put this into perspective.

The Exhaust is your next logical step. Budget about £600 for the removal of the pre-cat with a replacement, and then a CAT back exhaust system.

You mention you have the airbox still. This will again be another area that can be changed and improved upon, before going to phase III/IIII depending on who does the work

I have no doubt Phase III is worthwhile. However considering an LSD is also useful at this phase, thats another £900 I believe (roughly). The Z20let is a frustrating engine to tune, and this frustration leads to me questioning where I want to go personally with my own car. I am currently at Phase II, and am contemplating taking it further, but much as yourself, the now considerable jump in ££ gives more food for thought.

I would say YES if you are planning on keeping the car for a while. No if you are changing it in < 18months time.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all for the info. I will probably go for it in the new year along with the better exhaust system. I just wanted to hear from some guys who have had experiences with phase 3 upgrades.

With regards to my performance figures, i'll admit that they were recorded in an amateurish way, but I tried to make them as accurate as possible. The day before I had the upgrade we spent all afternoon sprinting up and down the local roads timing 0-60s, 30-70s etc. and I got figures roughly matching the figures that magazine reviews got. We timed the car in the same way after the upgrades, so the figures should give a reasonable idea of its capabilities! I did them more for a comparison to see what effect the upgrade to phase 2 had (also to make sure that my £1400 wasn't wasted!)

Thanks again to you all! This forum is brilliant!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    meh i read the question wrong i ment No!!!

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Wow, almost 7 years to the day of the last reply.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol, must be close to a record

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast