Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derestricting the induction side (AFM)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Derestricting the induction side (AFM)

Ive taken my AFM off to have a look see, there a large plastic difusser plus the fine metal mesh before the hot wire. Looks like a massive restriction. Is it safe to remove both meshes or just the fine one :?

Also seen these pics from South Africa on another forum, the AFM is mated straight to the turbo. Any one done this over here ?

Looks like theve used an intercooler of a Calibra turbo instead of the standard item, this might be better because it is fully exposed in the front grill ?
    Courtenay Astra Coupe Turbo: 281 bhp & 273 lb ft torgue.

Status
    ex 'titanturbo'
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    seen the car you mean the owner is wipassgp he reckons it as given him more power by fitting the filter that way.as for deristricting that pipe i,d like to know the same i,ve taken the pipes out of the air box but don,t know if i should remove those.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks to me that you wouldn't do it coz the mesh is to diffuse the air evenly than a blast of air for the hot wire to detect. Plus the mesh can stop any stuff falling thru to the engine. I personally wouldn't touch it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The max-boost bloke seems to think it's a good idea to take them off.

I think it would be very unlikely that you would get anything falling into the engine because you took them off. Heaps of cars don't use that mesh business..

But I agree with SmellyTofu about difusing the air. Someone needs to monitor the before and after with VAG-COM software or somthing similar (that is what I plan on doing but I don't know when).

Cheers,

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This has been done before by one of our guys and the results are not good. His car seems to surge alot after the mod, so the mesh is there for a reason, too smooth out the airflow through the MAF.

Read here for more info.

http://www.vvoc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596&start=0

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil - Veccy Turbo
    This has been done before by one of our guys and the results are not good. His car seems to surge alot after the mod, so the mesh is there for a reason, too smooth out the airflow through the MAF.
    Yes but wasn't this to do with the idle adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by V V O C Newbie
    the surging is caused by the rev idle setting on the throttle stop ( the idle setting ) its because you let more unrestricted air in the idle wants to go higher but your car is set to the old airbox and this puts the idle into hunt mode "too low".

just alter the throttle stop screw till the idle stablises no special tools required

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Autospeed online mag have taken the mesh of and have found it to be most of the restriction in the induction system . The mesh is there mainly to stop large parts getting into the engine it self , as long as you don't use a weak air filter and there isn't any radical piping infront of the air mass meter then it should be fine . I'm not taking any responsability if you break your engine tho :P

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manch
    Autospeed online mag have taken the mesh of and have found it to be most of the restriction in the induction system . The mesh is there mainly to stop large parts getting into the engine it self , as long as you don't use a weak air filter and there isn't any radical piping infront of the air mass meter then it should be fine . I'm not taking any responsability if you break your engine tho :P
    Yeah, i read the articles too Thats what made me have a look at mine, Im a bit nervous about the AFM failing in the middle of no where, Maybe ill buy a spare and carry it in the car just in case !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tell us how you get on m8

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did this at the weekend, the black plastic looked like a huge restriction.So i took em both out. I ran it for the next 2 days and the engine seems to pull harder to the redline along with a louder engine note. Ive not had any problems so far as in surging and im not really worried about anything damaging the afm unless i drive around with the filter off lol.
    Supercharged 330 coupe
    Golf V6 4motion
    Astra VXR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast