Thread: Fitting Dump Valve

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fitting Dump Valve

Ok, how many Turbo owners have fitted the Baileys dump valve and disabled the standard one?? or have most left them working togetther???

If you've disabled it, how loud is it? (I don't want it annoyingly loud!)

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes it is louder but not much !

The bottom line is this ...

The standard valve is fine until you start tuning. If you have any thoughts about tuning the engine further then disable the standard valve. With the new atmospheric valve it will dump the un needed air out close to the Throttle Body. When you get back on the throttle the air will be sucked through the system again, meaning cooler, cleaner denser air is pulled through.
    With the standard valve dumping off the turbo, it allows more dirty warmer air to be circulated, hence having a negative effect on performance, this becomes more noticeable when the vehicle is tuned.

AND RELAX !

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The dump valve is not really that loud on our engine, as it has to have a very strong spring so that it closes quickly.

This is aparently to with air/fuel metering.

Regal have supplied the wrong valve on a number of occasion and people have suffered with engine stutter when coming off boost due to this.

There is no harm in leaving the std dump valve in place, as it can release pressure on the turbo quicker than the aftermarket one.

Regal recommend disabling the std one, but Courtenay say leave the old one in place.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the baily dump valve on with the original still working and it gave a nice noise but when i disabled the original the wshhhh was longer and sounded better, trust me it is a perfect noise and not to loud at all
    Mk4 GSi, VXR Engine/gearbox, quaife LSD, Custom FMIC & Pipework, Piper 3" Ex, CS Garett turbo/manifold, 342bhp 365lbft - Sold replaced by 2007 RS4 Avant -also looking for spec blue mk3 ph1 GSI

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Must say I installed my dump valve last night (yes, it was bloddy cold last night) and although I can hear the bailey dump valve, if I put the radio on (even at low volume) I can no longer hear it. This is with the standard disabled, which is not too difficult to do.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The dump valve will not be very loud anyway !

The relatively low boost pressure of the standard map will not be enough to make a very loud noise. When you tune the car is the difference. Both mine and clokems are noticeably noisier

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been thinking about this, and surely if the whole idea of a dump valve is to release the air pressure as quickly and efficiently as possible then 2 valves working in different places would be better than one anyway?? The noise of the bailey valve may decrease as it has less air to shift, but if the standard one is left working on the turbo (lets face it, you can't get any closer than on the turbo), then any air that may stall the turbo will be instantly dispelled.

Anyone else have any theories on this????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J90RDN
    I've been thinking about this, and surely if the whole idea of a dump valve is to release the air pressure as quickly and efficiently as possible then 2 valves working in different places would be better than one anyway?? The noise of the bailey valve may decrease as it has less air to shift, but if the standard one is left working on the turbo (lets face it, you can't get any closer than on the turbo), then any air that may stall the turbo will be instantly dispelled.

Very true However!.....
    The standard valve is a recirc valve not a dump valve so it puts warm air back into the system, whereas the bailey one gets it out of the system forcing cooler air in. Also I'm told that the standard valve can leak preasure meaning that you don't hold boost as well as you should.

Unfortunaley I can see the good and bad point of both theories! Which is why I started this poll. I have decided now that I'm going to go with disabling the standard valve and just run with the baileys.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_The_mole
    Quote Originally Posted by J90RDN

Very true However!.....
    The standard valve is a recirc valve not a dump valve so it puts warm air back into the system, whereas the bailey one gets it out of the system forcing cooler air in. Also I'm told that the standard valve can leak preasure meaning that you don't hold boost as well as you should.

Unfortunaley I can see the good and bad point of both theories! Which is why I started this poll. I have decided now that I'm going to go with disabling the standard valve and just run with the baileys.
    As max said recirculating warm air is not so good for inlet charge temps, especially when the standard inlet temps can reach 60 degrees C when the ambeint temps are only 20 degrees C.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can i use hks Super Sequential Blowoff Valve for z20let?

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast