Thread: Engine management light

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine management light

Could someone please tell me if Vauxhall can plug the car into the computer and find a fault even if the engine management light isn't coming on???

My car is really pi**ing me off for two reasons:

1. most of the time when I start the car it will start fine but sometimes it will churn and churn and eventually catch but the rerves will just die down and the car cuts out. Doesn't seem to happen at any certain time, but has never happened in the morning regardless of the weather but happinging in the evening especially when I have come home from work and go to go back into town.

2. when I would be driving down to motorway to work and on the back roads, the car would sort of chug. Like a hicup or something.

Both of these have been happening a couple of weeks now and they have been getting worse. Really don't have the money to get them fixed this side of christmas but if it was something simple I would be over the moon.

Was talking to a mate who owns a modifing shop in Keady (Northern Ireland) and he was able to tell me that he had a guy in that has a scooby that was starting the same as mine. Turned out that it was a sensor in the exchust (sp) but there was no management light coming on!!!

thanks in advance all!!!

Car is a 2000 mk4 1.7DTI.

THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PRACTICE
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

FIGHTER BY DAY
    LOVER BY NIGHT
    DRUNKARD BY CHOICE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes they can, it will be recorded as an intermittant fault.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. Will get it sorted as soon as I can and let you know what it was.

FIGHTER BY DAY
    LOVER BY NIGHT
    DRUNKARD BY CHOICE

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem yesterday, I went to start my car, started fine, then after 2 seconds it cut out, I tried to restart, and it wouldnít start, I left it for 10 secís tried again and it started!
    The cars in for a service today, I didnít tell them as itís only happened the once, do you think I should ring them and let them know, or will it get automatically detected while there doing the service if thereís a problem?
    cheers
    towerstimes.co.uk

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could be safer ringing them and letting them know. Trust me you don't want it doing this it does your head in after a while. Might be a good idea to get them to give you a price for fixing it before they do, could be a cheep thing to fix but could run into a lot of money.

If they find the cause of it post it up so we know.

FIGHTER BY DAY
    LOVER BY NIGHT
    DRUNKARD BY CHOICE

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah cool
    I called and they said they would investigate, I got a call from them while at the millennium dome earlier, so didnít really get a chance to have too much of a chat, but apparently the car is ready to be picked up and they couldnít find any additional problems, he said if it happens again to bring it down!
    Hopefully it wonít as it was an expensive service right next to Christmas, £500! (Cam belt needed changing & new brake pads on top of the 40k service)
    towerstimes.co.uk

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ecu

Shady let me know if u have any luck and if the guy in Keady can do anything with ur car. Mine is also a 2000 mk4 1.7dti
    mine has a bit of history too
    bought in 2000 as company car in Dencourts
    lasted 2 weeks and ecu packed up, dencourts went through 3! ecu b4 they fixed it (and they had the car 4 months!!) then when i got it back it lasted about 6 months b4 the ecu went again , this time in Dublin. That time it was fixed by an Opel dealer who found a faulty alternater as well!!!
    and about a year agoshe was in Ballyrobert (i know it does get around!!!) and the traced a fault to the ignition switch which was probably the cause of the ecu failing.

The car has been grand untill recently the ecu light comes on if the car has been sitting but goes off if i turn off and on again but performance isnt effected... mine has 83K on it too

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not exactly on topic but a mate of mine got a 51 plate ST170 6 months old with only 3000miles on it. Had a lot of bother with ECU loss of power, gear box clicking etc.

Garage tried to reset and fix a number of times. In the end they gave up and for a tiny increase in his payments he got a brand new pre-reg 03 plate on delivery mileage cause they couldn't work out what was wrong with it!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    duff you sure have had a lot of trouble m8 with the motor!!!!!

Will keep you all posted on what is found out.

FIGHTER BY DAY
    LOVER BY NIGHT
    DRUNKARD BY CHOICE

Status
    formerly - SXI_girlie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    shady sounds like the ERG valve is stuffed my sxi astra was suffereing from the same problem and i took it back to the dealer and thats what it was. The ERG valve has something to do with recycling the exhaust fumes!! let me know how u get on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast