Thread: Whats the limit to modding

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Whats the limit to modding

Its a question I have been thinking about for a whie. A bit weird I know.
    Is it when you begin to go to far, or you stop enjoying it, or is it when the car your building isnt for your self.

I would like to here what diffenence people have with the opinions.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would say when you dont enjoy it !

I enjoy my car and enjoy driving it. I went to mod the engine first as IMO thats what GSi stands for.

Next it will be subtle exterior bodykit wise, or totally mental. I know totally mental would be good for mags etc, but I am going for subtle changes as this is MY preference.

Once its as far as you can take it, then its time to sell it and move on. I think you know when you've had enough, as the enjoyment/excitement is no longer there.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    or the car starts looking a tad tacky lol

Mothers with teenagers know why animals eat their young

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    good question and a hard one.

At the minute I dont enjoy modding and I have hit and gone beyond the limit so many times!! I would pack the whole project in but I would lose so much money if I did.

However ask Lee and Mark what I am like when talking about new ideas etc for the car and my face lights up!! I also think that when certain bits are finished I get a new lease of life for it!

One thing I would say and totally agree with Steve on is that you have to do it for you and not for Mags.....it will eat away at you if you do it for the mags, the money, time and effort and then not to get in a mag or worse not even like your car is a big no no and will really get to you.

I hope that helps.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Lord nikon is right about you losing the enjoyment of modding, I belave this is the aspect I have lost and find it teidous and stress full I feel as If Im building a car for others and not for myself.
    The last phase was built for me I chose what went there and spent a long time choosing mods, to build a car wich is me. and the out come was a car wich I enjoyed emensly and didnt give a toss if tom dick or harry didnt like it, but this stage is to build a motor to appeal to Every one else to show what stages a car can be took to, if u knoiw what I mean

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As a person who has modded every car I've ever owned I would say it was your bank balance (or credit limit!)

My first Nova started as a set of wheels and ended up with an engine transplant, tints, ICE, suspension, it's like the Pringles advert

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Agree with the comments above, I get annoyed with modding when i've got the car in bits for weeks/months on end, i feel it just gets too much, but once it's done I really love the car again, though a few times this year about selling it and doing something else but still have so many plans that I really want to finish this car now though, even though thats probably another 2 years away due to the costs.

In Feb when she's in bits i'll prob' post though that I hate it and want out again.

Time to stop? When in the back of your mind you feel it's the right time.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A car is a reflection of yourself. The choices you make along the modding road will come together in 'your' vision of the perfect car. Its not going to be to everyones taste, and there will be some people that tell you that !

However, if you really have lost the passion, then I believe personally you need to start a new project from scratch. I took the GTiR I had to 400bhp+, and it was great fun, but the pain of clutches every 3000miles, not being able to use it because it only had 1 seat etc etc, became too much, and it had to go.

Your new kit Brett, is nice, and although it is not my taste completely, I appreciate the amount of effort put into producing a stunning car like that. Every1 will be like that, even with a car as amazing as Petes, individuals will want to change parts further, thats the beauty of the modding game, and what drives it forward.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well i'm learning the hard way at the moment.

Even though my car is nowere near the standard of the vast majority of cars on here it still cost in reflection to my wages of my last a lot of money.

I believe in part i am now paying the price with my fiance living at home with her mother instead of with me.One of the reasons for this is me not saving with her for a deposit for a house amongst other things.

I think hobbies are fun and everyone should have one but i suppose my answer is that when i starts to affect your personal life,your future and the people around you then that's the limit.

I dread to think how some of these young lads are going to pay off the 10K plus loans they have probably got to get there saxo's to mag standard instead of getting a house.

I suppose ultimatley control is the key..

Sorry for the deep reply.

Alan

Status
    In House Designer
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    comes down to a lot of factors,

i never wanted to spend a great deal on my car, so i did everything on a bugget. and got everything done fairly cheaply. all good quality tho. All i wanted was a nice looking car.

personally i don't gain much pleasure from spending money on the car, only from it being the finished artical that it is! so i kept changing parts untill, imo, all the things i didn't like about the standard version had been solved.

now i've done that, and i'm happily driving a car which i like the look of. i personally wouldn't spend anymore because i think it would be a waste.

i'd rather keep the cash and maybe put it towards a better car next time.

this is how i see things.
    Visit our-formats.com for creative design services

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast