Thread: Alternator?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alternator?

The dimming of my headlights is really doing my head in now... They will dim when you use the indicators, turn the steering wheel or put up your ICE.

The Vauxhall Corsa courtesy car i got had exactly the same problem so i was wondering what would sort this out once and for all... Bigger alternator/battery? Any ideas... (& rough prices plz)

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Technical Post

If it's doing it even when you indicate, you maybe better get your battery checked.
    If you have to replace it, buy a diesel spec battery.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry...

Should actually be in technical, wasnt thinking

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't worry It's just me, being me !!!

If the big battery does'nt make any difference then you should maybe look at a split charging system, which gives you a seperate battery for your ice.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If your suffering from disruption in other low current circuits, such as the flashers when the ICE is turned down I would suggest making sure the cars earth system is all present and correct. Maybe a little clean of the connections on the body work would help.

If the altenator warning light is out and the battery has enough capacity to start the car every time, it's VERY unlikely to be a 12v+ concern.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If i am parked up, headlights on, ICE off and use indicators or turn the steering wheel i can see the headlights dim (looks shit).

Japcrapboy - Now that you mention the cars earthing system. In my ICE, i am getting alternator whine as well and someone mentioned to me it could be that the cars not earthed right.

I checked my Earth from the Amp and that was fine, what else would i need to check for the earthing and how. (Not too techincal minded here)

*And no i am not getting the alternator light come on and the car does start every time.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Altenator interfence over the t00nes is a different topic m8, you need to surpress that mutha!

The link from the amp to the cars body may well be fine, but if the link from the body back to the battery is poor it won't make a blind bit of difference.

If you look around under the bonnet you'll see that the battery earth terminal has a lead which goes to the vehicle chassis. Also at some point the engine box/transmission will have a link to the chassis. find em........clean em and refit.

Without seeing the car or being able to look over test figures it's hard for me to say for sure that, THAT is your concern, but it's the first place to look and it's also a point thats often overlooked.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the voltage from the alternator when idling. It should be nearer 14.4volts on a high idle. I have heard of alternator where the regulators have gone duff and they are only charging at 11 or 12 volts, which is too low to properly charge the battery up.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    buy a capacitor for ur ice. it will solve dimming of the lights problem 100% wen ice is being played