Thread: 3 Door speaker cavitys. How big?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

3 Door speaker cavitys. How big?

Right lads. Whos fit speakers into there doors and has a rough idea how much depth and cavity size there is?? I want to sit a pair of DLS R6 components in there, but the mahnets look prety BiG. U recon they will fit, or is it a small door build job?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't know about the coupe but i'd be confident about putting them in my 5dr.
    '51 Reg Astra 1.8 SXI 5DR for sale.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That looks like a big magnet. I would have said anything over 3 - 3.5" deep would be pushing it for most plastic mouldings, although you may prove me wrong ops:
    Were you gonna try and get the x-over in the door as well or can you run wires through these plugs/grommets??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I might just buy them and have a go at making a door build. Its just one of those things Ive always facied doing. Im a wiz with MDF and fiberglass is easy enough, I used to repaire my slalom kayak all the time with it. I was thinking, If i do have to make a door build, Id mount the crossovers where the door pockets are as I never use them. All very tidy of course

Has anyone done a door build on a G?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they fit with pods i made mine out of mdf both 6 inch and 5 will fit with the podsi have the same speakers in my car which is an astra g sri 3 door. i got the front components mounted under the passenger carpet and the back ones on an amp rack either side of the amp. any questions just ask i did all my astra with dls gonna do the suberu next

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Astradude , but I dont fully understand what you mean? when you say you have the front components mounted under the pasenger carpet, do you mean you have mounted the crossovers under the carpet?

When you say you made some pods out of MDF, do you mean you made some adapter plates out of MDF or did you build the speaker out of the door? DO the standard door pannels fit back acrodd the speaker face?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Coupé
    Thanks Astradude , but I dont fully understand what you mean? when you say you have the front components mounted under the pasenger carpet, do you mean you have mounted the crossovers under the carpet?

When you say you made some pods out of MDF, do you mean you made some adapter plates out of MDF or did you build the speaker out of the door? DO the standard door pannels fit back acrodd the speaker face?
    ok the crossovers i have mounted under the carpet like u said all sits back nice and flush. as for the door pods i built them out like u said with some mdf now with this u have to be very carful otherwise the door panel will not go back properly. to make sure i got it right i took a template of the door pod the old speaker was in and copied it on to mdf so i had an exact match (sorry if thats a bit confusing) and this all fitted back fine hope this helps if not ill try writting out a step by step guide thats much clearer

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lightning coupe I had DLS R6s in my SRi with the autoleads adaptors they fit no problems

Paul
    01 SRi 3Dr

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dude! You f'in star!!

Ah, I see your from manchester. That would explain it!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, my guess is looking at those, they should... there's a fair amount of room, and remember you have to build mdf spacers for them so they sit out ~1.5" or something from memory, so plenty of room IMO If they don't fit, don't wind the window all the way down
    Aaron
    Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra SRi 2.2L
    For all your Car Audio Questions
    http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/upload/n/nutter.jpg
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*