Thread: my drive home today

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

my drive home today

shite drive home from hatfield today, it was pissing down like no ones business, put the wipers on full and still couldnt see anything.

put the fans on militant but the car was still steamed up, especially the back windows (5 door). The car was all over the place, struggled to keep it on the road :?

quite a few things i want to ask about, will wider wheels give me more grip? its on the standard 16's from a 52 plate sxi @ the moment. How wide can i go? maybe wider at the back than the front? want some deep dishes after seeing them on coupes yesterday but not to sure on that.

secondly why does the car stay steamed up, is it just cos its pissing down so hard or what?
    gsi front, sri turbo rear, bk299's, 2x15" diamond m3's and a dls a6 I need more bass ... 1200 rms and counting

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you got aircon mate, for some reason your car will steam up in the rain, all you can do is run with it on that will clear the windows
    YOUR FRIENDLY WINDSCREEN MAN

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm...will try next time, thursday probably.

cheers
    gsi front, sri turbo rear, bk299's, 2x15" diamond m3's and a dls a6 I need more bass ... 1200 rms and counting

Status
    In House Designer
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wider wheels give less grip in the wet don't they? surely smaller serface area in combination with great water spreading tyres cuts to the road and tration better/ faster
    Visit our-formats.com for creative design services

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mate Hatfield's great ain't it now they started the roadworx on the A1... When they start on Tesco's roundabout it's all gonna be fuct!

Agreed tho - Coopers green lane was a bit messy and there's the usual flooded patches forming all around. Still gotta love (s)Hatfield tho!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know all about that rain. Sunday's flooded roads have left my Astra imobile with all kinds of weird electrical problems, including an alarm that went off non-stop, although the internal battery on that seems to be dead now.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    once again showed the shitness of the knowledge i have.

hatfields wonderful if you like running over rabbits n foxes. didnt even know we had these in this country narrow minded londoner.

im @ uni in hatifled, its ok but the residents are after our blood cos we park on the local roads

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I always find low profile, wide tyres tend to grip better BUT the way in which they break away from grip isn't as as progressive as 'normal' higher profile tyres.(this is proven, which is why F1 cars have tall, cross ply tyres (REALLY!))

This makes the car more skittery and less confidence inspiring in the wet. I used to knock the wheel size down a bit on my old cars in the winter (17 to 15s or 14s) as it feels better and narrower tyres are better in snow

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: my drive home today

Quote Originally Posted by stage1
    secondly why does the car stay steamed up, is it just cos its pissing down so hard or what?
    <And now for the science bit>

The rain cools the glass which causes the warmer air inside the car to condense much more easily. (Air con greatly reduces the humidity of the air in the car so it's less likely to condense and mist up your windows).

Ah, those years of Physics/Chemistry were'nt wasted!!

Jonathan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get some Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 Tyres, you WILL notice the difference in the rain. I went through several puddles on my 205 40 ZR17's and there was hardly any aquaplaning!!! They were awesome even when it was p155ing down

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast