Thread: Speaker advice needed

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Speaker advice needed

I want to replace all the standard speakers in the car, before I make a start on my boot install after xmas.

Any recommendations on what speakers to get? And will it be a straight swap or will I need to do lots of work?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive just been looking into this myself, and the general sensus of opinion is that unless you buy a decent set of components your just wasting your money. The front speakers are where all your high fidelity sound should come from to give you the best possable listening pleasure.

Thinking about this there right! In all the previous cars ive owned ive never really invested highly in the front speakers, in fact the most i ever spent was £65 on a set of sonys, and you know how much difrence i can honeslty say I heared.....None!

With this in mind I set about a trip to my local audio experts SQ+. They recomended that for the money I had to spend (£200 ish) that the DLS R6 speakers would be perfect for me at £175. The sound quality was amazing, you could just not ever get bored of listening to them, they then played some Focals for me, these to where very nice speakers but a little sharp for my liking. The DLS speakers were much warmer.

Armed with the little knowledge gained from SQ+ I posted various questions on the forum below and these guys give great advice. They really seem to know there stuff. Whilst astra sport has its audio bufs, the site below is full of them! In the end they actually all said you cant go wrong with the DLS speakers but there are others for a similar price that might suit your perticular taste in richness and sharpness. Its down to you really, get yourself off to a good audio shop (not halfords or your local corner shop) and listen to some quality speakers.

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/index.php
    (big thanks to madcoo for telling me about this site)

I hope this helps.

regards

Adam

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Adam. A very detailed response there - a lot more detailed than I was expecting lol.

I shall investigate further tomorrow... just off to bed now.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i say get your bass and your boot sorted then go for the inside!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok I've decided to start the boot build first after xmas then work around that.

The boot install will comprise of:
    2 x amps
    2 x 12" subs
    capacitor if needed

Any recommendations on what combination to get for the above? I'm looking at 1 amp per sub.

Also, any recommendations on head units to drive the above too.

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best head unit for the money at the moment is a Pioneer DEHP77MP, they dont look like a fricking fruit machine and are built with sound quality as the main feature. Its a CD/MP3 tuner so you dont need a changer as you can squeeze 10 albums on one mp3 cd. The thing that makes it most suitable is the 6v :shock: preouts perfect for wireing your amps. Also have good quality mosfets aparently.

CHECK IT OUT HERE!

And the really good think is that if your quick Mark_dj is selling his!!

Pioneer DEH-P77MP For Sale Or Swap

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its not just about speakers, when you're talking about a front stage.

You need to mount the mid/midbass driver on something quite solid, the plastic mouldings are fine if you reinforce them with P40. If you could incorperate a MDF ring, all the better.

Sound travels through metal quicker than air so although you may not realise you may hear resonance before sound waves, try and deaden the door. If you think Dynamat is a rip off which it is just like all the others out there then aluminium flashing works pretty well.

Try messing about with phasing, this can make a massive difference, especially if you speakers are positioned off axis and on different axis to one another. Just don't put one mid out of phase with another.

Have fun chap

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    k, to me, that just sounded like:

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Got a lot to learn I suppose

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    snap, I think phasing the speakers is a little beyond the regular DIY car audio installer. And if your on about what i think you are, not many people have an ocilloscope handy.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To change the phase swap the + and - wires around, i think Lightning Coupé is thinking of using a scope to view the amps output to see if its distorting , or perhaps using a rta to see the frequency levels.
    '51 Reg Astra 1.8 SXI 5DR for sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast