Thread: Vibration in my car!?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vibration in my car!?

Ok, you will probably say the same as iv already been told by a certain garage, my car steering wheel vibrates/shakes really quite badly when I do over 60 mph at the moment and it doesnít disappear when I accelerate past it, it just gets worse!

Now, going back a couple of months ago now, I hit a petruding manhole cover that hadnít been sorted out by the road workers that were resurfacing at the time on the passenger front wheel, which was around(ish) the same time my car started playing up, so I just want to see if there are any other suggestions apart from having a buckled wheel due to that particular incident?

I have also been told that it could be my balancing out but when I took it to Kwik fit and they put that tyre on the balancing machine, it was wobbling slightly side to side, but when I took it to another garage, they couldnít see any damage with the wheel! So anyone else got any suggestions before I have to go buy a new set of wheel nuts for my spare tyre as the nuts on my alloys donít fit my spare and the previous owner didnít bother to leave me any! and leave it with a alloy refurbishment company(which to be honest, will probably try and rip me off by telling me that they need to reshape it even if it isnít damaged!)

So what do I do?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    rotate the wheel mate put it on the back it will reduce the steering judder untill you can get it fixed, btw if you have had it balanced and it wont balance im afraid it is buckled, so im told most buckles are repairable about £30 per wheel
    YOUR FRIENDLY WINDSCREEN MAN

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've heard some good reports about the alloy repair place in Gillingham!

Not sure how much they charge though!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could try get them balanced on the car...I had the same problem with mine, and that was the only thing that sorted it out.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    max thats what i heard aswell so they must be good
    YOUR FRIENDLY WINDSCREEN MAN

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B2 GPB
    You could try get them balanced on the car...I had the same problem with mine, and that was the only thing that sorted it out.
    how do you mean, on the car? i spoke to them 2 weeks ago and they said they couldnt do anything about it until i took the wheel off and brought it into them! i had the car right in front of them and they didnt suggest any other way of doing it!? So, it looks like i will just have to buy myself a spare set of wheel nuts and put my spare on then!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Some garages will balance the wheels on the car, this way they should be able to feel the vibration whilst being in the garage, and be able to balance it to stop it.

It gives you a more accurate final balance i think...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    u cant unbuckle alloys they will shatter
    Astramk4, Pumping 2.50 odd break 18", EBC, K&N, 7" Motorised screen, Pioneer setup.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Vibration in my car!?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry6680
    Ok, you will probably say the same as iv already been told by a certain garage, my car steering wheel vibrates/shakes really quite badly when I do over 60 mph at the moment and it doesn’t disappear when I accelerate past it, it just gets worse!
    This happened with my last car, a Corsa. I hit a few *ahem :roll: * kerbs, plus an island and it buggered my steering. I just took it down the garage and had it balanced and my wheels aligned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane_SRi
    lol, you're pure quality Lisa

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure~Astra~MK4
    u cant unbuckle alloys they will shatter
    Depends on the severity of the buckle, if it has started to crack then you have to weld the rim. It is possible to heat the wheel and straighten out buckled wheels. I have heard that some rims will actually straighten back to the original true if they are heated up in an industrial oven